Ignition or injection cutout @ 2500 rpm

JRock

Turbocharged
Ride
2008 Rocket III Standard
This morning, about 5 minutes into a long ride, either the ignition or the injectors cut out 2 or 3 times around 2500 rpm for a 1/2 second or so in rapid succesion. The bike was not fully warmed up, but I was not at full throttle either. I took it very easy for the next 10 minutes and the problem did not return for the rest of the day on a 200 mile ride. I did a search, but found nothing. I recall reading similar prob in a thread here. Please comment if you've had it/heard of it. Thanks.

Does the bike stutter hard accel?? I'll bet it doesn't... Probably when you are modulating the thottle just above idle to maintain a cruising speed right!!! Check the play in your throttle grip... If it is more than 2-3mm, the throttle cable needs adjustment... That caused a similar problem on my bike... Have your dealer (or yourself if you have the service manual) adjust the throttle cable.. Also reset the voltage on the stepper motor.. Dealer can do this or you can with Tuneboy... That solved my problem...

If that doesn't work, then you (w/tuneboy) or you dealer look into the TPS voltages.. (0.6V closed throttle, 3.2V (I think) wide open).. Could be a bad TPS... Make sure the stepper motor is not throwing DTC0505 (bad motor)... That could also be the culprit... Also check the electrical connections to the coils....

Mike...

Mike I don't think the stepper motor or TPS could affect the engine while it is running, so as to cause it to cut out. I wonder if the ignition switch is having a Pegasus moment? :lol: If it quits on you TeeDee reach up under the ignition switch and start wiggling stuff.

It was actually part throttle acceleration turning thru a corner at a green light. 2 quick stutters. I guess I'll lift the tank and wiggle connectors to check tightness, look for something obvious. Thanks.

TeeDee said:
It was actually part throttle acceleration turning thru a corner at a green light. 2 quick stutters. I guess I'll lift the tank and wiggle connectors to check tightness, look for something obvious. Thanks.

That still could be a bad throttle cable adjustment...

Mine does this randomly when cold, I get two sputters and then a mild throttle body back fire, after that, everything is fine. Like it's letting off some morning flatulence after it wakes up.

I imagine this is the same thing that happens with the under seat backfire some have reported but since I've got triple K&Ns, I hear it under the bear claw.

I was having a lot of problems with my '05 Rocket cutting out, coming back on, etc while running at all rpm ranges. Ultimately it turned out to be a bad TPS.

this was the first sign of trouble with my bike
it then developed the droping off idle

the dealer made it worse by puting the "fix" tune in

after a rigorous sytamatic check of every main electrical componant
i found only a few abnormaloties

1. the spark plug caps did not all have a direct conection to the coil
this is what i belive was the cause of the inital 'miss fire' like you
may be expiriencing
2. the TPS voltage was not at the corect setting
after being set by the authorised triumph machanic
(this was a gutting experiance that had me stumped as to what to do
for weeks)

the remidy for No 1 is easy enough , test the H/T lead for continuance with an ohm meter and if you find an "open" lead push the H/T cable back into the spark plug cap untill it tests OK if you cant fix them then buy some replacements
i had 4 leads that tested open ( i think this condition is caused by pulling the leads off during servising)

the "fix" for no 2 is to
A, check the resistance at the plug of the TPS for a smooth
consistant change whilst opening the throtle
B, then check the actual setting of the TPS at closed throtle using
the "pin center wire" technique

my bike runs fine now and i have learnt alot from the expiriance like
mechanics don't all know the stuff we expect and pay them to,
after knowing how delicate the TPS setting is i dont use a
scrubing brush near it during a wash,

hope some of this helps

Back