ignition confusion - starting BUT

Big boy

.020 Over
Ride
2012 Rocket Roadster
OK here is the problem

The Rocket is not starting normally. Run through the usual sequence and I get no joy when I push the starter button, all else seems to initialise as per usual.

Like all experienced Rocket riders I have a new ignition set on hand and have plugged this in and it makes no difference.

It won’ t start with the stand down and the clutch in and I am not willing to risk trying to start it in gear in case she decides that this would be good for a laugh and fires up.

BUT

The bike will start in neutral without the clutch engaged if I hold the start button and then turn on the switch. It will also start with the clutch in if the start button is held in whilst the key is turned on.

Any ideas where to start?

You've only got a few things here to work with... clutch switch (has a history), neutral switch, sidestand switch, start switch. Sidestand switch should allow start if in Neutral.

It won’ t start with the stand down and the clutch in

This is normal, if its in gear. If its in N, it should start.

The bike will start in neutral without the clutch engaged if I hold the start button and then turn on the switch. It will also start with the clutch in if the start button is held in whilst the key is turned on.

So it will start with the clutch in or out if you hold the start switch and slap it with voltage by turning the key on. I'd say you've got some dirty or worn contacts in that start switch.

To further troublesoot, try different start scenarios while only changing one thing at a time. If nothing changes and nothing works, then also suspect that start switch.

All rockets should start with the side stand down and in neutral with clutch lever pulled in. Or no one on the face of the earth would beable to idle her for a 12 minute tune, or say balance the throttle bodies or even just starting her to let her warm up. Side stand down clutch lever pulled in and in gear should be a no start.

Back