if you are considering a rocket iii touring.

Martin Wilber

.020 Over
Ride
rocket iii touring, sprint st 955
I must admit I was intimidated by this monster on my first test drive. This is my first cruiser. I went from a 955 sprint st to this (still have the sprint). It is big but, it has manners. More comfortable on the long haul. Has great perfomance. It is about as quick as the sprint but not as fast.
The point of this post is, this is a great motorcycle. It is powerful, comfortable, and not like every other cruiser out there.

If you are thinking about it. You need to get one.

Hi Martin, I agree. I picked mine up just 2 weeks ago, I bought it sight unseen and I had never ridden one before. Within a few minutes I realised that I would need to give it time to get used to her - but also how much at home I felt on her! I have ridden / owned nearly all of the Hinkley Triumph models and also have a Tiger XRx which is a fantastic machine. The rocket is different but equally as good. As a shorty I have to think about slow speed manoeuvring and stop start traffic - but once on the move it becomes effortless - I realise all of you veteran riders will already know all this, but if there is anyone in the market and perhaps put off by the size or weight my advice would be to go and ride one - you will be amazed!

I had an 06 standard for awhile and when I took a demo on the touring model the differences were all about comfort, in fact I was so infatuated with the ride I offered my r3, s3 and cash right there to get it done! Unfortunately, or maybe not, the sales manager could smell blood in the water and low balled my trade's and I walked away. Still a great bike and a ECU cable away from 20 free HP.

How bad is the width of the tank/leg spread? I will hopefully be in the market when I get a few bills paid off and have swung a leg over one, but have yet to test ride any. The tank feels HUGE !!

And after derestricting you get an entirely different bike again, once it starts revving properly to 6k and pumping out 140 hp instead of the anemic 100 or so it's a lot more fun still.

How bad is the width of the tank/leg spread?

At the first run I felt like I was perched on a barrel! I had just traded my old one in and on that one you sat all ladylike. ;) Now, it just feels natural, and for those of us who like to sit with the legs apart anyway, it's quite restful to wrap your legs around the large tank.

Just had my first ride yesterday. Moving from a silverwing to this was definitely intimidating. Nonetheless I simply love this bike... The heat generated... Maybe not so much.

The heat on these bikes was my only complaint. I bought it in August and thats the hottest mont in Las Vegas. I got rid of the catalytic by installing D&D pipes and wrapped the headers. The heat issue is better now but still a hot bike to ride in traffic if its over 100 degrees out. Its a great bike, one of my all time favorites. The more we ride it the better I like it.

Back