Molinoman

Living Legend
Ride
2017 Polaris Slingshot
After giving the idea a lot of thought (not much else to do over here but to work and think, sleep and eat) I have decided...for now (which means I could change my mind but I doubt it) that if the new Gold Wing isn't "all that" that if/when I get the new Triumph it will be the the R3T.

I looked up as much info on the Roadster as I could find and noticed a couple of things.
1. I like the more "relaxed/cruiser" style of sitting on the Classic which is pretty much duplicated on the R3T. With the Roadster I am sitting more upright, leaning slightly forward, feet will be positioned more rearward.

2. I like my floorboards, on long trips they are good to have. With the Roadstar I'm back to pegs (the new Gold Wing will probably be "pegged" as well).

3. Do I really need 6 more HP (from my current ride) and 18 more ft/lbs of torque?
With the R3T I can still get up and go and will only be at 11 ft/lbs less torque.

4. The colors are only black...and black. I like black, but with a another color added to it, I'm not too keen on only having the blue and blue to choose from but since they will not be carrying over the red/black model for 2010, I may settle for it or get the solid black R3T and do what I was originally thinking of doing with the Roadster, have some one throw some more paint...of a different color...on it.

5. The 2010 R3T will have ABS as an option, the Roadstar has it stock, I'll just order an R3T with ABS.

6. When I get back I can always work on getting a "tourpack" mounted on the luggage rack like a few other enterprising members have done already.

7. I can add a stereo system easier to the R3T than I can a Roadster.

8. Which leaves the only real shortcoming...cruise control, but there are ways around that as well.

Now keep in mind this could all change if I ever sat on a Roadster (my second R&R from now in April or so) and talked myself into "this isn't so bad after all", but for now I'm going to concentrate on getting ready for the R3T.

Dennis

26 dtg Dubai
27 dtg Home

The MIA cruise control is getting more and more attention in the rags so I hope Triumph is listening and does something about it. Nowadays it is a basic requirement on anything pretending to be a "touring" model.

If Triumph does do a cruise control for 2010; I hope it will be retrofittable to my '08.

Somebody's got cycle fever real bad, eh, dennis?
You need a break from your prison real soon!

Antilock brakes were needed on bikes long before they were put on big rig trucks. I never understood the controversy surrounding the implementation of ABS to america's over the road trucks and I am very proud of american bikers, not only their acceptance of the technology, but the overwhelming demand for it.
Retrofit, and it's affordability should be a huge issue with manufactuers and their dealer network. I understood why retrofit for automobiles and trucks was cost prohibitive, but this should not be an issue with motorcycles, especially models still in production. We should lobby Triumph to make retrofit kits available and affordable to late model owners.
After all the customizing time and money I've invested in my 2008, I'm undecided about trading it in for a 2010 Roadster just for the brakes. The $3000+ I would lose in the trade would more than pay for some kind of retrofit so that I could have ABS installed on my '08.

What is the best way to get Triumph's attention about this issue? Any ideas?

I just lost my 2nd VTX 1900 in 3 years. It had linked brakes, which some argue are better in some ways than ABS because they afford you more feel and touch. Why do you advocate so passionately for ABS, Hellfire? many others have expressed a distaste for them onm motorcycles. I've ridden bikes with and without and , frankly, my jury is still out on the subject. Enlighten me!:)

Hey man, You gettin short again! I sure hope you wear a hat over there dude cause your brain is working overtime on this half baked decision you be makin. I haven't been keeping up here as much as I should, but do I take it your other Rocket has been spoken for??

I just lost my 2nd VTX 1900 in 3 years. It had linked brakes, which some argue are better in some ways than ABS because they afford you more feel and touch. Why do you advocate so passionately for ABS, Hellfire? many others have expressed a distaste for them onm motorcycles. I've ridden bikes with and without and , frankly, my jury is still out on the subject. Enlighten me!:)

You know as well as I that there is absolutly no occasion where having the wheel slide on a bike is a good thing. Any kind of lock up while braking is dangerous especially on the front. The danger is amplified ten fold any time weather or loose road surface is involved. Just having the ABS make locking of the wheel inpossible is insurance, cheap insurance. Some will have the argument that it takes control from the rider ... what control?, there is no control when the front wheel is locked up and sliding. The front wheel never slides for very long either, you end up on the ground too fast.
I'm not expecting to ever have it activate under normal conditions, weather or the occasional gravel/dirt road/driveway. I should be experienced enough to use my brakes effectively under adverse conditions. It's the oil and water puddles at stop lights, parking lots etc that try to bite me in the ass. Just one greasy spot while stopping at a traffic light can cost a grand in accessories and embarassment. ABS would prevent those little oopsie's from happening at all. I've never dropped a bike like that, but I've come close and seen others go as far as breaking a wrist just from falling on slick spots.
Why not have it? Other than cost, what are the cons?

All I know is that the rear brake on the R3 is alot more squirrelly than the linked brakes on the big Honda. It can lock up way too easily for my liking which is another reason that I'll be riding on the DS on my Triumph!

Baggage1, no, the bike isn't spoken for yet, but if worse comes to worse I should be able to trade it in when the time comes. I should have it paid off in February or March.

I believe I am asking a fair price ($10,000) and if someone feels that is too much to pay, then it will be a trade in.

You're right I am getting shorter, less than 4 weeks.

Dennis

25 dtg Dubai
26 dtg Home

Back