Ragnar

Standard Bore
Ride
2006 Rocket classic
hi guys
I am having some trouble with my 2006 classic. Bought it a few weeks ago. The bike had been mostly standing for a few years. Have changed all fluids and filters and spark plugs.

Bike specs when i bought it:

Milage 15 thousand miles
Catalytic converter removed from exhaust
Power commander III installed
K&N air filter.
Secondary throttle body plates removed.
The oxygen sensor plugged

The bike ran like crap.
As I want to have the bike as original as possible I removed the Power commander and the K&N air filter.

Found out that the primari TPS was shot and replaced it.

Now my problem is that the bike does not idle. Runs a few seconds then dies.

Can this be the because of the throttle body plates that have been removed?
Can this be the valves?

Ani Ideas?

thanks in advance.

Just a suggestion. You mentioned replacing the primary tps. Did you adjust it with tuneecu? If not, id guess thats your problem, and if you did use tune ecu, did you do it exactly as instructed?

Just a suggestion. You mentioned replacing the primary tps. Did you adjust it with tuneecu? If not, id guess thats your problem, and if you did use tune ecu, did you do it exactly as instructed?
Sorry, not to confuse....did you adjust the iscv using tune ecu?

As Jvheli pointed out changing the TPS without checking the adjustment can throw things off.
Also if you reinstall the o2 sensor you can do a 12 minute tune to have the bike adjust itself to some hardware changes.
Rick

Hi Ragnar

As mentioned above you can't just replace the TPS without it being correctly set up. You can download some free software called TuneECU and a special cable which connects your computer to the bike. This is likely the cause.

If the bikes been parked up for such a long time it is possible other things aren't helping. Blocked injectors from spoiled fuel being one of them.

As Jvheli pointed out changing the TPS without checking the adjustment can throw things off.
Also if you reinstall the o2 sensor you can do a 12 minute tune to have the bike adjust itself to some hardware changes.
Rick
Hi guys.
No I have not used tuneecu, I am not familiar with that software. But I have the program and the usb connector.. The question is what do I do to correct this?

Hi guys.
No I have not used tuneecu, I am not familiar with that software. But I have the program and the usb connector.. The question is what do I do to correct this?
It needs a full ISCV RESET. ( idle stepper motor vontrol voltage reset. This synchronizes the the primary throttle position sensor with the ecu map, and the idle stepper motor. I am guessing there is not a dealer up there so you will need to set yourself up with tune ecu so we can walk you thru the process. It will take 5 or 10 minutes to complete.

It needs a full ISCV RESET. ( idle stepper motor vontrol voltage reset. This synchronizes the the primary throttle position sensor with the ecu map, and the idle stepper motor. I am guessing there is not a dealer up there so you will need to set yourself up with tune ecu so we can walk you thru the process. It will take 5 or 10 minutes to complete.
hi, you are right, no dealer. Would appreciate a walk through guys.

Sorry, can’t point you in the right direction off the top of my head but have a search on the forum and there are guides for it.
Alternatively on the TuneEcu web site there’s a terrific manual. Not many pages so worth printing off and referring to.
Good luck. It’s not a hard job

Also worth checking you have an O2 sensor as the mods suggest it may have been removed. It’s in the header at the end, behind rear foot peg bracket. If it’s been removed you may find a blanking plug fitted.

Back