Identifying idiot lights

krothnbrg

.060 Over
Ride
2008 Triumph Rocket III Standard
I have a light illuminated on my 2008 Rocket III standard. It looks like a little picture of an engine. I thought it was for coolant but that appears to be topped off just fine. Oil is fine too.

Does anyone know what that light is supposed to be telling me?

Karl

PS - It's been at least a few years since I've been on this forum...

It could be a number of things hook up Tune ECU and read the code

engine management light if you have a cable and tune ecu plug it in you will read the code fault if no cable of your own have the dealer do the procedure and they will find the code fault for you

Thanks, Watcher. I'm thinking it may be the check engine light. Of course that means I need to get it plugged into a diagnostics set-up to see what the code is. Ugh...

Thanks, Watcher. I'm thinking it may be the check engine light. Of course that means I need to get it plugged into a diagnostics set-up to see what the code is. Ugh...

Yes that is what it is pull the code and it will tell ya whats up ez to do if you dont have a way to run it to the parts shore they can or at least around here can hope you get it solved

If you don't have TuneECU, (then you should get it ;) ) got to an AutoZone type place and they will read the code for you. If you have TuneECU then you can do that yourself. You can then look up the manual and find the code. (Control F will open the search function for the PDF manual. Put the code in and go from there.) Depending on what the code is for, it may reset itself after a few engine on/off cycles.

If you don't have TuneECU, (then you should get it ;) ) got to an AutoZone type place and they will read the code for you. If you have TuneECU then you can do that yourself. You can then look up the manual and find the code. (Control F will open the search function for the PDF manual. Put the code in and go from there.) Depending on what the code is for, it may reset itself after a few engine on/off cycles.

I fiddled with it some more... discovered both the pos and neg battery cables to be loose (accidental discovery). After snugging those up, the indicator did in fact reset and now it's not lit up. I wonder if it could have been something that easy..

Could be, it only needs an electrical connection to be lost somewhere and it can trigger the error code light if it does not come on again and the bike is running fine I wouldn't stress about it

Last edited:
I disconnected the battery for a move cross-country. I have the battery cables re-connected. However, now there is a cord w/ several inputs that doesn't seem to have a corresponding male end anywhere under the seat in the battery compartment. Does anyone have a photo or words on what should be plugged into it?

Back