ksquared

"O Captain, My Captain"
Ride
2008 Red/Black R3T
Guys:

I'm breaking in my new R3T and it's hard to tell how tight I'm revving the engine. I'm not coming near the redline, nor am I lugging it, but I'd sure like to have a tach to refer to. I've driven manual transmissions all my life and I drive much more by tach than I do by speedo.

I've written to Dakota Digital to ask if their tachs would work with the R3T's triple, but they haven't even bothered to respond.

Has anyone installed a tach on their R3T? If so, what did you use and can you provid me installation instructions?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The dealer here told me to just ride the bike normal; no gunning it through the gears or lugging. IIRC, he said the bike only turns around 2800 rpm at 80 mph.

The easiest thing for reference is to use a Scangauge. It has an RPM function but with a slow refresh rate it really can't be used to shift. It will however give you a good idea of what the bike feels like at various RPMs as well as providing a lot of interesting info.

I too am interested in adding a tach to my R3T. Like you, I've kind of focused on the Dakota Digital. The small (2 1/16") round tach looks great I think. The large (3 3/8") tach is too large for me.

They are programable from 1 to 15 cylinders so they should work without a problem I believe.

The only problem is by the time you add the chrome plated cup and handlebar mounting bracket, you're close to $400 when done!

I recently came across another source (Kosa North America). They appear to be more reasonably priced too and they state they are 'programable' for the number of cylinders.

Dakota Digital: Round Mini Tachometer

Dakota Digital: Round Performance Tachometer

Koso Website: KOSO NORTH AMERICA

Last edited:
I too am interested in adding a tach to my R3T. Like you, I've kind of focused on the Dakota Digital. The small (2 1/16") round tach looks great I think. The large (3 3/8") tach is too large for me.

They are programable from 1 to 15 cylinders so they should work without a problem I believe.

The only problem is by the time you add the chrome plated cup and handlebar mounting bracket, you're close to $400 when done!

Round Mini Tachometer

Round Performance Tachometer
Wonder if there might be enough interest amongst the R3T captains here for a group buy?

Back