I pulled THIS from my tire! Cursed- two flats in 4K miles!

Journeyman

"And this one is just right" ~ Goldilocks
Ride
2020 3R
Exactly one month ago I replaced an Exedra Max with only 2700 miles due to a puncture, then yesterday on a beautiful ride I pulled this shet out of that new tire, with just 1300 miles on it!

IMG_2884.JPG

If not for the fact that I got the two punctures in two different locations I would have thought that someone is out to get me. Unless someone is actually following me around, I have to go with just extremely bad luck.

Minutes before I noticed the change in handling I felt something kick up and hit my leg. I think it was the handle that had just broken off- probably on the first rotation. I'm still trying to picture how the stars lined up for a dang screwdriver to position itself perfectly like that.

Btw, if you've never had a rear flat (I'm now all too familiar), not a blow out, on the R3 it feels like this.... You may notice it in the front first. The front feels a little high and loose (light contact). On turns she won't want to lean, but will turn more and more like a tricycle. Pull over.

There were lots of bikes yesterday on that popular scenic mountain road. I'd say 20, mostly Harleys, passed by, but none stopped- just a nice guy in a pickup truck with his wife and kids. Hmmmm, I thought. I once stopped to help a guy on a Harley when I had the R1200RT. I had metric tools, but the vice grips were enough to help get him going. Certainly on a joy ride, not late for work, etc., I will stop to help anyone- so much for the "brotherhood" that particular day. Oh, well.

I used a black sticky rope plug and 3 cans of CO2 (need 4) to get me to an air machine and then home.

So, last night, I re-read a post that I participated in about plugging tires. I said then that you should always replace them, but averaging a little over 4,000 miles to a tire, and with two punctures in about that many miles, I'm having a serious debate with myself......

I got 2 flats the first summer I owned mine, haven't had another in 8 years.

I must be doing something right. I have never had a flat from a puncture since I started riding in 1976.
And now, just to keep the spooks away I carry a patch kit and a small inflator I can run off the battery. I decided to get those after reading some of you guys posts about that on here. Had them stowed for about 3 weeks now. I also keep Ride-on in the tires. Knock on wood!!!

My T patched tire was over 200 on the dyno, and well over 150 with me on it, lol, many times. All on a closed course.....

It really depends on where and the extent of damage for me. And each case is weighed for safety. And I only do repairs with the tire off the rim, and only performed my me with a t patch.

That being said, I respect others view to just change it out. It’s yours , and your pax’s life your responsible for.

But it sure seems like cycle tires are garbage magnets!

Well the plug has a very slow leak and I had to ride several miles on it before I could get to get to a pull off to plug it. I have no faith in it so, once again, Rocky Mountain ATV has made another sale.

Riding the '98 Thunderbird Sport today (not complaining) and until I can get it mounted Wednesday. I pulled the wheel tonight and expect the tire to arrive tomorrow.

"If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all...."

Exactly one month ago I replaced an Exedra Max with only 2700 miles due to a puncture, then yesterday on a beautiful ride I pulled this shet out of that new tire, with just 1300 miles on it!

IMG_2884.JPG

If not for the fact that I got the two punctures in two different locations I would have thought that someone is out to get me. Unless someone is actually following me around, I have to go with just extremely bad luck.

Minutes before I noticed the change in handling I felt something kick up and hit my leg. I think it was the handle that had just broken off- probably on the first rotation. I'm still trying to picture how the stars lined up for a dang screwdriver to position itself perfectly like that.

Btw, if you've never had a rear flat (I'm now all too familiar), not a blow out, on the R3 it feels like this.... You may notice it in the front first. The front feels a little high and loose (light contact). On turns she won't want to lean, but will turn more and more like a tricycle. Pull over.

There were lots of bikes yesterday on that popular scenic mountain road. I'd say 20, mostly Harleys, passed by, but none stopped- just a nice guy in a pickup truck with his wife and kids. Hmmmm, I thought. I once stopped to help a guy on a Harley when I had the R1200RT. I had metric tools, but the vice grips were enough to help get him going. Certainly on a joy ride, not late for work, etc., I will stop to help anyone- so much for the "brotherhood" that particular day. Oh, well.

I used a black sticky rope plug and 3 cans of CO2 (need 4) to get me to an air machine and then home.

So, last night, I re-read a post that I participated in about plugging tires. I said then that you should always replace them, but averaging a little over 4,000 miles to a tire, and with two punctures in about that many miles, I'm having a serious debate with myself......
If it weren't for bad luck you'd have no luck at all.

Back