I Need more power

Stevepaff

.020 Over
Ride
2005 R3 classic
The bike currently has stock pipes with a decant pipe and that's pretty much it.
Using tuneecu I used a map that opens the secondaries and it feels more responsive but not by enough.
I'm thinking of a ramair setup and aftermarket pipes when funds allow but eventually I want to supercharge or turbo
I've seen some of the kits but fancy build in my own.
What else can I do in the meantime to satisfy my hunger for power

The bike currently has stock pipes with a decant pipe and that's pretty much it.
Using tuneecu I used a map that opens the secondaries and it feels more responsive but not by enough.
I'm thinking of a ramair setup and aftermarket pipes when funds allow but eventually I want to supercharge or turbo
I've seen some of the kits but fancy build in my own.
What else can I do in the meantime to satisfy my hunger for power

@Stevepaff
Oh BOY, have you ever opened up a can 'o worms here Steveo :eek::roll::roll: The gurus will be along presently. I would suggest wrapping your head up with duct tape. Won't stop it from exploding but at least you will still have all the pieces.

The only advice I have is decide what end result you want and execute it without shooting yourself in the bank account. For example, if you want to go with the turbo, it don't make much sense to drop 2-3k on an exhaust that is going to be chucked in the spares heap because it won't work with a turbo. Probably the best way to scratch yer itch a little bit would be get the RamAir, a set of TOR's and a retune.

Unless of course you just happen to be made out of money then go for the gusto. You will find plenty of enablers in this mob and we just LOVE spending other folks money.:D

Hi Stevepaff,
As billy says, intake change to either Ramair of K&N's plus the decat & exhaust (@Paul Bryant - superb systems, either single or twin muffler)and then off to the Dyno tuners. It's best to do these 2 upgrades at the same time and only get the bike re-tuned on the dyno the once. As for location of a dyno tuner who can use Tune Ecu, you'll need to talk to the guys in Aus. for locations. You do have the bonus of living on the same continent as the Wizard of R3 Tuning @Neville Lush

The first jump in power is pretty simple.

Intake upgrade-K&N or Ramair
De-cat
Open up the exhaust.

@Paul Bryant can fix you up with the last two.

New tune or dyno.

This is what I did to my R3T and am very happy.

After that power gets expensive.

Plenty of good advice here. Enjoy

Hi Stevepaff,
As billy says, intake change to either Ramair of K&N's plus the decat & exhaust (@Paul Bryant - superb systems, either single or twin muffler)and then off to the Dyno tuners. It's best to do these 2 upgrades at the same time and only get the bike re-tuned on the dyno the once. As for location of a dyno tuner who can use Tune Ecu, you'll need to talk to the guys in Aus. for locations. You do have the bonus of living on the same continent as the Wizard of R3 Tuning @Neville Lush

+1 on Living in the same part of the world as Lushy. Going to be keeping an eye on this thread. Always a good read when the folks that really know what they be speaking of, @Claviger @warp9.9 and the rest horsepower addicts get rolling on the tech stuff:thumbsup::thumbsup:

As others have said, pick your goal, build to suit.

How much power do you want? How fast do you want to go?

When you’ve selected that, what type of power band do you want? Massive torque in midrange or linear power?

When you’ve the answers to those we can point you the right way.

Give Neville a call, he is uniquely qualified to help you achieve your desired reality whether it be high power NA or forced induction.

Removing the secondaries provided satisfying results for me. A slip on pipe will make a big smile as well.

Make a plan for the end result. It costs less to have the final goal in mind and then execute. If your going turbo then you will need a big pipe. The big pipe may not give the best results if you put that on with few other mods. Choose your powerband goals. Peak hp is just that and it’s hard to use 8000 rpm all day.

We have roads here that won’t allow you to use 240 hp at high rpm much at all. You’ll just be off road sooner.;)

Thanks guys.
The bike already has the decat and secondaries open to 100% with tune ECU.
Already looking at the ramair setup and looking what route I want to go with the exhaust setup.
Now with the end result, thats my problem. When I was in the car scene I had a nice little mr2 that I felt like a bit more power so I modified it and it satisfied me for a while, then I got bored and took it all off and did new mods. Ok for a while but not enough, so I ripped the engine out and pout a v6 in. Then after all that I still wanted to chase more power.

I'm the same with my bikes, I start with little increases, then end up wanting more. Silly me even thought the rocket would be enough, but less than one year on I'm chasing more power.

I don't actually mind starting small then ripping everything off to start again. Keeps me busy and entertained.

I do however think in the real world. I don't need more top end, theres just nowhere I can use it so I'll be looking to increase low down and mid range power.

There are a few of us rocket owners locally, one actually has a supercharged version while the other is mostly stock with aftermarket pipes, removed secondaries and a power commander. funny enough my stock pipes are louder than the modified ones, is that normal or could someone have messed with the stock pipes at some point?

I'm not new to modifying and am pretty handy with the tools. I used to own a shop in the uk where I tuned jap cars and swapped engines. and if the rocket is off the road for a while I have a couple other bikes to ride if I feel the need.

I have no doubt it will be a long term project but at this stage I just want to get ideas and let my mind run wild until it goes yep.... thats what I want. lol

Back