I need a Gear Position Sensor GURU for this one

Manic_Mechanic

Turbocharged
Ride
05 Rocket
OK, I need a GURU for THIS ONE.

Evidently the "16" engine gear position sensor has 4 wires to connect it whereas the "05" has only 2.
I installed the 05 sensor to the Roadster engine but it never finds neutral.
I have noticed that the 16 sensor has a pin in it that rotates with the shaft but the 05 has tiny pods embedded.
Does anyone have a work-around for this?

Evidently the "16" engine gear position sensor has 4 wires to connect it whereas the "05" has only 2.
I have noticed that the 16 sensor has a pin in it that rotates with the shaft but the 05 has tiny pods embedded.

From memory (my bikes 05) the gear sensor is only two wire the sensor has a series of resistors (i know as I measured them when I first got the bike) that tells the ECU which gear the bike is is, but only 1, 2or3, 4and5. So three inputs.

Think the R3R has a gear indicator (dont know for sure) but the sensor will be completely different.

I will stand corrected but I dont think you'll find a "work around" for this one sadly, the ECU's are different too.

The Roadster GPS is totally different than the older ones like 05.
It reads back 7 positions that I'm aware of (1-N-2-3-4-5-6) when mated with the Roadster ECU as it's used on other models with 6 gears. Don't know how many the 05 read back has but I'd guess 4 or less.

Initially the Roadster ones were a 3 wire (1 more wire than the 05 etc), but these had a fault.
Around 2013 they updated the part # to a 4-wire GPS for Roadsters.

The new GPS part comes with an adaptor sub-harness for the new GPS to plug into 2010-13ish Roadsters' harness. Plus you have to rearrange pins a little in the clocks when fitting this one, to be rid of that fault.

However the newest Roadster harnesses have a 4 pin female to receive the new GPS sensor, so no need for the adaptor like the 2010-2013 bikes need.

What went wrong with your '16 GPS?
I have a couple of spare Roadster GPSs floating about.

Edit: OP didn't specify the thing was being connected to an 05 harness with 07 ECU.

Is the 16 engine in an older chassis, or is in the 16 chassis with ABS and Roadster clocks?

Last edited:
Okay you are going 2 make everyone thank about this
Are you trying to use the 05 computer?

So an 16 sensor in the 16 engine, an 05 external portion of the sensor and 05 harness, and an 05 ECU is the current hardware situation right?

If that's the case, the internal portion is also different, a simple swap of the external sensor portion of the GPS system will not work. You'll need to swap out the internal portion as well.

Alternatively, you could install a GIPRO to trick the ECU into assuming it's in 3/4/5 all the time. This will at least keep it driving in the good ignition tables.

16 sensor
P0705 - Gear position sensor circuit malfunction

Check final post here for update procedure to the new improved part, which, may fix your issue:
Problems with gipro and gear position sensor

Last edited:
Back