I have a bad feeling about this... Clutch Actuator Arm.

Tonester

#justsayin'
Ride
2014 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Hi guys,
I was changing the clutch cable on my 14 R3R this evening - I'm doing the Classic Handlebars and Revco Risers mod so I got the longer throttle cables and clutch cable from a R3T. Anyway I took off the clutch actuator arm (I thought it would be easier to change the cable). When I put it back on with the new cable. I pulled the clutch and there was very little resistance??? At first I thought that I hadn't located the clutch actuator arm on the shaft (there's no indent on the actuator shaft to visually line up with the 'dimple' on the actuator arm).By now my 'spider sense' is now pinging as well as the rapidly growing noise of a Submarine Claxton Horn... = $$$$. I can push the clutch actuator arm all the way with just my finger. It does return but there is very little resistance... Bloody hell, I hope this is a simple fix but that Claxton Horn at the back of my mind is getting louder and louder.
  • 2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
  • Mint condition only done just over 2000 Kilometres
  • Running perfectly, no issues whatsoever especially with the clutch before I put it on my bike stand to change the bars and cables etc...
Any advice/help would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
Tony
IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0194.JPG
Hey Tony there should be a mark on the shaft and a mark on the arm you have to line them up do you have a service manual I think theirs a link on here where you can download it

Clean the end of the splined shaft off and there should be an indent - albeit near to invisible.
To give you an idea - the cable end of that lever actually is past the radiator cover on mine when free - i.e. I remove the left cover piece to fit it onto the shaft.

IMG_0194.JPG
Hey Tony there should be a mark on the shaft and a mark on the arm you have to line them up do you have a service manual I think theirs a link on here where you can download it
Clean the end of the splined shaft off and there should be an indent - albeit near to invisible.
To give you an idea - the cable end of that lever actually is past the radiator cover on mine when free - i.e. I remove the left cover piece to fit it onto the shaft.
I couldn't see an indent mark on the actuator shaft to line up with the dimple on the actuator arm; however, after reading your replies (thank you!) I went and had a closer look at the picture I posted and zoomed in and sure enough the 'witness' indent mark IS on the actuator shaft! So is it a case of taking off the radiator guard, lining up the marks, fitting the arm on the shaft? Just to check, even although the clutch is not engaging there is a small amount of tension on the return spring before the clutch engages properly? And this is what I'm mistaking for something wrong and because I couldn't see the indent mark I haven't put the actuator arm on far enough around for it to engage the clutch? Hope that makes sense.... So tired need to get to bed... Thanks again guys!
Zoom-In_Detail.PNG

I couldn't see an indent mark on the actuator shaft to line up with the dimple on the actuator arm; however, after reading your replies (thank you!) I went and had a closer look at the picture I posted and zoomed in and sure enough the 'witness' indent mark IS on the actuator shaft!
So is it a case of taking off the radiator guard, lining up the marks, fitting the arm on the shaft?
YES
Just to check, even although the clutch is not engaging there is a small amount of tension on the return spring before the clutch engages properly?
YES - actually just before the real action starts - the tension is enough to be annoying.
And this is what I'm mistaking for something wrong and because I couldn't see the indent mark I haven't put the actuator arm on far enough around for it to engage the clutch? Hope that makes sense.... So tired need to get to bed... Thanks again guys!
You've hit it on the head. I fit the cable into the clutch arm before it goes on the spline. It's easier to just drop the bar lever loose and reconnect after.

I suggest a small dot of paint in the splined shaft indent as a matter of course. In th arm too for the extra obsessive.

Ha, ha, ha... very good. I'm so glad it all worked out for the best. I nearly had a heart attack when I had no resistance when I pulled the clutch lever in to adjust it. I remembered reading something about Rocket owners having to pull the guts out the front of the engine just to replace a 20c spring! Seriously, that is so bad... Anyway I obviously had that horror scenario rattling around in my subconscious when I pulled the clutch lever in. By the time the lever had hit the handgrip my eyeballs were bulging out and I swear I could hear the violin 'stabs' from the movie Psycho!
T.

Ha, ha, ha... very good. I'm so glad it all worked out for the best. I nearly had a heart attack when I had no resistance when I pulled the clutch lever in to adjust it. I remembered reading something about Rocket owners having to pull the guts out the front of the engine just to replace a 20c spring! Seriously, that is so bad... Anyway I obviously had that horror scenario rattling around in my subconscious when I pulled the clutch lever in. By the time the lever had hit the handgrip my eyeballs were bulging out and I swear I could hear the violin 'stabs' from the movie Psycho!
T.
We've all been there over one project or another!

Back