I checked my valves today

Pig9r

Living Legend
And they were all pretty much in spec. The exhaust side on the #2 cylinder was near the loose end of the specs and will probably be out by 20,000 miles.

Pretty easy job over all. I have triple K&Ns so I did not have to remove and reinstall the intake tract. It took about 2 hours all together. Followed the cam cover removal procedure (which includes removing the coil mounting bracket) and the valve checking procedure in the service manual. The cam cover was about 10 times harder to get out then to put back on. And it is tricky getting the front two bolts on the cam cover torqued. Spark plugs looked good also. The boots have done a good job of keeping the crap out. The spark plug tool in the tool kit works good and a 16mm socket fits on the end of it.

It seems if the shims needed to be removed you would have to remove the cams as stated in the manual. I see that for the transverse triples and parallel twins Triumph makes a tool that fastens on the cam shaft retainers that allow the shims to be swapped without removing the cams but I don't think it would work with the Rocket. At 20,000 miles I will also replace the cam cover bolt washers. They are a steel and rubber washer and I don't think they'll survive another round.

Here are a few action shots...

This was my special helper...

Last edited:
Two hours you say? With or without beer breaks and with or without hand washing. That thumb model sure looks to have taken a bath before posing.

Two hours! I've been shafted again. Dealer told me 4+ hours. They must be counting the lunch hours.
Can one expect that with the right lubricant, and best interval change, that wear can be zero even at 20k and beyond?

Since I don't have the intake plenum on I am sure it saved a good hour. All you really need to do is remove bearclaw, raise tank, remove coils and bracket, unplug the spark plugs, remove at least one plug from each cylinder then remove the cam cover. It went back together quicker than it came apart. They may charge 4 hours but that doesn't mean that is how long it takes.

Back