How to secure the bike

scot in exile

Living Legend
Ride
2011 Rocket
I have to trailer my bike to MV as I have a job to do along the way, anyhoo I have my friends trailer (open) and as I have never done this before what is the best way to secure the bike, the trailer has a chock for the front wheel and I have a **** load of straps.
I know I can super glue the tyres to the trailer but will that be enough to hold it:p
Shoot me some info I know the basics like do not compress the shocks to much also can you safely cover the bike with anything?

Yes roll to the chock leave in gear while strapping her down. Use tie loops so hooks don't mess with any of the chrome. I use them on the handle bars and then the upper shock mounts or my side bag frames. suck her down so she compresses the shock and front forks some so she is still tight when the trailer bounces. do not suck her down so hard the the back of the front fender hit the radiator when the trailer bounces. I also like to tie the front tier to the chock for added safety. I never leace her in gear as I do not know if it would be hard on the tranny or not but once your tied down you will see you don't need to. I am going to look at a mice one also so nice I could not resist. :D

Dave, look in my photo album for when I sold my bike and Lee from CT came down to pick it up. The pics show it strapped down (and it made it up there okay) and it might give you some ideas.

Aw...heck...I'll just post them...I miss that bike...it was definitely a beast even in stock form.

Dennis

51 dtg Dubai
52 dtg Home for good!

I found out by accident what covers the R3 well for storage or whatever ... California King fitted sheet fits an R3 with W/S and saddle bags perfectly from front to rear fender corner to corner while snugly holding firm to the floor boards, tall sissy bar, exhaust and bags. Makes a nice dust cover and as an anti scratch layer before a weather proof cover goes on.

I use it mostly to cover the bike outside when I mow or am making a dusty mess. It's very resistant to blowing off in the wind too.

(it's one of our old cotton while linens and not a flower pattern just in case you were wondering) :p

I found out by accident what covers the R3 well for storage or whatever ... California King fitted sheet fits an R3 with W/S and saddle bags perfectly from front to rear fender corner to corner while snugly holding firm to the floor boards, tall sissy bar, exhaust and bags. Makes a nice dust cover and as an anti scratch layer before a weather proof cover goes on.

I use it mostly to cover the bike outside when I mow or am making a dusty mess. It's very resistant to blowing off in the wind too.

(it's one of our old cotton while linens and not a flower pattern just in case you were wondering) :p
Pics pliiiiiizzzz

Yeah, I wouldn't want to leave it in gear. Hey, are you gona put that thing back on the trailer at night? I think Velma is in her monthly cycle. Shes been backfiring latley. Through the intake. I'm bringing tennis balls for her exhaust.
See ya'll soon
Kid

Lookin forward to our Rendezvous at RAAVI and remember greatly RAAIV.
I believe never too many tie down straps is enough.
Im not an advocate of the in-gear approach. UNneccessary internal engine stresses are fully compensated with strapping alternatives.
A high and low approach is my preference, with chocks in place with a two pair aft and with a low handle bar attachment at the bow...bring the front end down maybe 20% and lock-yer in place.

As for rain gear I might recommend a cape-cruisader hat and dodgy fur-undies for your beast. Mine will be so similarly buttoned down. I have no excuse otherthan my Amy will be driving :D

Back