How To On Fork Spring Changeout

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
OK I have the fork seals, and 7.5 wt oil. Springs are on the way. After reading all of the posts I could , found people are good with the progressive. Plus $68 shipped from Amazon is also good.
I do 99% of my own work. Have a good shop. In the manual it calls for a special to compress the spring then insert a flat piece under the nut.
I should be able to make a spring compressor, or is more complicated than it looks in the book.

No replies on this? I ordered Progressive springs, I will be having a friend who is a MC mechanic help me, is it possible to do without the special tool? I'm also torn between the 5w and 7.5 w, been searching threads and I find people who like both, I'm 190 lbs and ride 90% solo.

No replies on this? I ordered Progressive springs, I will be having a friend who is a MC mechanic help me, is it possible to do without the special tool? I'm also torn between the 5w and 7.5 w, been searching threads and I find people who like both, I'm 190 lbs and ride 90% solo.

When I did mine several years ago 15 wt. was all the rage. I would go back to 10 if it wasn't such a PITA to change the oil. 15 makes the front a little harse for my pretty laid back riding style.

I installed the progressive springs. Got the old ones out OK. Had to take them to a shop to get the back together. ( I have a pretty complete shop) . Went with the 7.5 oil. Couple of reasons.
First I am 240 lbs. Second is that I live in Oklahoma and it can and will get very hopt here. Oil Vis. drops in heat.
I have them on about 18 mos. Bike rides really well . I compare it to going from a old beat up ford pick up to a new cadilic .
One other Item. If you take the forks off the bike and to the shop you will save a chunk of money on labor. I would make an appointment so you can be in and out.

There is a set of Triumph fork tools floating around somewhere. I borrowed them several years ago when I did mine. Not sure who has them now. :confused:

There is a set of Triumph fork tools floating around somewhere. I borrowed them several years ago when I did mine. Not sure who has them now. :confused:

I know, I did a lot of thread searching, the impression I got was that someone lost/didn't return them.

I tried to make a set ofthe tools from the pictures in the workshop manual. Did not work out to well.

The plate and compressor work like this:

The springs come out with the rod in:

You need to be careful and follow the instructions in the manual:

I just got the Progressive shocks and havnt mounted them yet but I was curious about the springs and if they was worth the trouble. More involved than I thought.

Back