How to keep your scooter running in Cuba

Interesting story ski .it just goes to show how good we have it .it just goes to show the determination of this obvisouly talented guy ,but riding on a tube inserted with condoms goes to show condoms do come in handy

Interesting story ski .it just goes to show how good we have it .it just goes to show the determination of this obvisouly talented guy ,but riding on a tube inserted with condoms goes to show condoms do come in handy

When I was a young bloke and riding around a fair bit like Luis Enrique Gonzalez so aptly put it I:whitstling:"stuffed a few condoms into holes" myself

Interesting story, thanks for sharing this. I know many folks here are already chomping at the bit to buy old American cars and I guess bike too, once Cuba is opened up to us again.

Gee Boog I was always of the opinion that there was an endless supply of "old" cars in the US ,the impression we Aussies get is that there are thousands of them abandoned in the desert and old wrecking yards ,but I suppose like here the supply runs out eventually, some of the US car shows we get here ,.Fast and Loud ect give that impression,

Gee Boog I was always of the opinion that there was an endless supply of "old" cars in the US ,the impression we Aussies get is that there are thousands of them abandoned in the desert and old wrecking yards ,but I suppose like here the supply runs out eventually, some of the US car shows we get here ,.Fast and Loud ect give that impression,

There are still quite a few around, but the true classics are getting pretty thin on the ground for the average guy. The Fast and Loud boys pay WAY more than I ever would fro some of the cars they pick up and they aren't really restoring much they are just flipping them to make a buck. More and more of them are ending up in the crusher every day

There are still quite a few around, but the true classics are getting pretty thin on the ground for the average guy. The Fast and Loud boys pay WAY more than I ever would fro some of the cars they pick up and they aren't really restoring much they are just flipping them to make a buck. More and more of them are ending up in the crusher every day

Same here mate,since the regulations changed on driving left hand drive cars on OZ, the vehicle must be 30years old at least and not have a GVM not exceeding 4.5tonne ,our market has been flooded with LHD cars from the US ,there are more Mustangs on OZ roads then ever, our local supply of old tin is getting short ,as I have mentioned on other threads I carried plenty of crushed old vehicles to the recycling depots in the 80s and 90s, I have haulage invoice copies for over 500 tonnes of crushed old vehicles , hindsight is a wonderful thing, my only excuse is the standard, I was only following orders :sick:

Maybe one day we can all meet in the Florida Keys and take the ferry over to Cuba for a week or two ride around the Island... I heard from a friend of mine that some places over there are as pristine as the day Capt. Cook landed ... Definitly on my bucket list. Here's an old favorite B movie of mine if your snowed in and bored like me..

Last edited:

Ken, I was quite fearful during Obama’s first year in office on this issue. He had proposed the idea that Americans didn’t want to drive cars over 10 years old AND it makes sense for the environment too because technology advances so fast the cars only a few years old are obsolete. The EPA even started drafting new regs that cars 10 years and older could only be permitted to drive on weekends and special events. As soon as the vintage owners learned of this, they lobbied hard to stop action and were successful. Whew, dodged a bullet there. But we must stay alert as there are still people who feel all cars over a certain age should be crushed…

Now in Cuba, they have tons of pre-1950 vehicles and bikes still running and awaiting my butt to place in their seats...

Ken, I was quite fearful during Obama’s first year in office on this issue. He had proposed the idea that Americans didn’t want to drive cars over 10 years old AND it makes sense for the environment too because technology advances so fast the cars only a few years old are obsolete. The EPA even started drafting new regs that cars 10 years and older could only be permitted to drive on weekends and special events. As soon as the vintage owners learned of this, they lobbied hard to stop action and were successful. Whew, dodged a bullet there. But we must stay alert as there are still people who feel all cars over a certain age should be crushed…

Now in Cuba, they have tons of pre-1950 vehicles and bikes still running and awaiting my butt to place in their seats...

In Singapore the government handled it by jacking up the annual road tax so high on older vehicles that nobody could afford to drive them. When we went in '72 Dad bought a '55 Chevy. No idea how it got there, but it was out family car for about 4 years until the gubment decided they wanted everybody to drive new cars

Back