How many here have gone with the side mount liscense plate?

leigh_m_gardner

Supercharged
Yep - my plates on the side. I have a rear/brake light mounted on the plate and combi rear/brake/indicator unit mounted under the rear mudguard (which has been cut down). Like this:

100_1969-713511.JPG

100_1920-747044.JPG

The wire for the side plate runs down the back of the bracket and then behind the metal work where the pillion peg is mounted. You can just about see here:

100_1974-715825.JPG

The bracket I got is from Germany and was really for a Honda but since it would fit, had a rear light mounted quite neatly on it, and (most importantly) was in black I went with that. Its mounted on the Pillion footrest mounting point (I dont take pillions on the Rocket), and yes - just tapped in to the wiring loom. Owl has and I did have a custom dynamics custom LED array mounted on the rear mudguard acting as rear/brake/indicators allowing just a basic light for the plate.

liquidsmilez said:
I think the sport bike crowd is more into sticking them up deep into the rear fender where they are almost laying down. Have not seen alot of them with the side mounts. Though I know they are out there, but probably found more on the busa's with the stretched swingarms.

LS

Well it's supposedly because the sport bikers had the side mounts that could be folded in when Johnny Law was on their ass. That way the coppers couldn't get the plate number.

Leigh-you dont take pillions on the R3? Jo only gets on the Valk? I think your cheating her of an awesome ride my friend.. just my humble opinion

Ive got one but made it myself.I used the original number plate light and mounted it on top of the side plate.Then made a casing to cover the light out of stainless steel

If you use the original number plate light you can just move it still connected to the original harness.Then just fasten the wires underneath the rear mudguard on the struts that go across.Dead easy

In NJ it's illegal to mount a license plate vertically. It must be horizontal, on any vehicle. On the plus side NJ law just says it has to be mounted on the rear of the bike, so you can probably get away with a set-up like Leigh and Step1, though a hardnosed LEO might give you grief.

Back