How long does it take to start.......

Willtill

Nitrous
....your Rocket after it has been sitting for a couple of days? My battery is strong and new; the engine turns over energetically (seems to want to turn over almost 10 times; I estimate) before she even wants to fire.

Again, this is when it has been sitting for a couple of days.

Though this is fuel injected, would it help flipping the throttle a little when turning it over?

Kindest Regards,

-Will

No on flipping the throttle, since it is fuel injected there is no need and you don't want to start developing "old" bad habits.

I forget what year your Rocket was...is it new? Depending on where in the country you are and whether you are enjoying true "Al Gore" global warming or are dealing in reality and enjoying the start of a colder than normal fall (in some parts of the country anyway...) your engine, being as big as it is, may be taxing that "energetic" battery a little more than normal.

If your Rocket is used you may not know how old the battery really is...coiuld be OEM. There are a couple of threads that deal with this issue. A lot of Rocketeers have gone to "other than" OEM batteries, Odyssey Batteries comes to mind and there are others.

On my 07, because of being out of country...a lot, I have gone thru two batteries already ( because of either sitting for a long while or the trickle charger I used had the power turned off accidently...I've been told). Because of the climate in NW Florida (where it does not stay in the 80's and 90's year round...contrary to popular, misguided opinion) during the late fall and winter (we get freezes like everyone else...just may not last as long) your battery will have a time trying to turn over the beast if you have the OEM. I would highly recommend finding some of the battery threads and reading them...there is a lot of great information in them, when I get to when I need another battery I will be reading them as well.

I'm sure someone will pipe in anytime with their recommendations...listen good.

Dennis

59 (?) dtg Dubai/Kuwait (?)
60 (?) dtg Home

Will i agree with dennis about not touching the throttle, for what it's worth my bike burst's into life almost immediately, but it's only a few weeks old and lives on a life support machine, don't suppose that's much help :(.

ray

I've had my Rocket for about a year and a half and have gone through one winter. Mine sits idle almost every week and gets ridden on the weekends. It fires right up with no hesitation.

Of course, I've just jinxed myself now and I'm sure the engine will fall out of the frame the next time I try to start it.

RDaryl fails to mention he sleeps with the FBG under separate sheets, for a week on end:D

NO additional throttle!
I use my beast regularly during the work week and she sits for several days, over the weekends. I have yard work to do doncha know.:D A trickle charger would save me from many anxious Monday morning starts. I upgraded to a slightly stronger battery after a year and have experienced cold start issues on the second as well. Someday soon, my Oddessy 625 will be fitted and I'll see how well it holds up to cold soaking over the week ends during this up coming Alabama winter. If Flipper comes through, I may tax the 310CCA replacement battery yet another year instead.

Last edited:
I've got a2005 Rocket with the original battery. The only time it's seen a charger was early last spring after sitting all winter. It always takes 3-6 cranks to start when cold and 2 or less when she's warm.

Lester, I was proud that my original '05 battery has gotten this far. Last week as I was quietly rolling down the street away from the house "early" in the morning on the way to work (I always coast away from home cause the TORS are kinda loud @ 5:30 AM), all the lights suddenly went out. "**** luck" as I figured I was on borrowed time anyway. I was getting concerned as I continued on down the hill about 2 blocks from the house now (hell of a push back up that hill). "I can't kick start it" I thought because I've tried that before only to come to a screeching hault (engine compression too much to turn the engine over). "What the heck" I thought as I had nothing to loose, so I popped it into 2nd gear & dumped the clutch. I guess that "dark side" tire has better traction than the stock, which would only skid, cause the engine fired & I thought I'd go on to work. At the next stop, the engine faltered terribly but I noticed it immediately & kept the RRR's up. At that moment I turned her around & headed back up the hill to the shed & parked it. That evening I charged the battery but it would only allow the electrical system to "click" as I hit the starter button. Another charge, same thing. New gel battery for $74 & we're on our way again.

By the way, the "check engine" light stayed on for the first 3 or 4 rides but then went off after that. I read that it may take a few "cold/hot" engine cycles to clear what ever that light is indicating.

And I thought I might be the only '05 still running the stock battery, until last week.

Keep an ear out for signs of "electrical sillyness".

See ya.

lester, i was proud that my original '05 battery has gotten this far. Last week as i was quietly rolling down the street away from the house "early" in the morning on the way to work (i always coast away from home cause the tors are kinda loud @ 5:30 am), all the lights suddenly went out. "**** luck" as i figured i was on borrowed time anyway. I was getting concerned as i continued on down the hill about 2 blocks from the house now (hell of a push back up that hill). "i can't kick start it" i thought because i've tried that before only to come to a screeching hault (engine compression too much to turn the engine over). "what the heck" i thought as i had nothing to loose, so i popped it into 2nd gear & dumped the clutch. I guess that "dark side" tire has better traction than the stock, which would only skid, cause the engine fired & i thought i'd go on to work. At the next stop, the engine faltered terribly but i noticed it immediately & kept the rrr's up. At that moment i turned her around & headed back up the hill to the shed & parked it. That evening i charged the battery but it would only allow the electrical system to "click" as i hit the starter button. Another charge, same thing. New gel battery for $74 & we're on our way again.

By the way, the "check engine" light stayed on for the first 3 or 4 rides but then went off after that. I read that it may take a few "cold/hot" engine cycles to clear what ever that light is indicating.

And i thought i might be the only '05 still running the stock battery, until last week.

Keep an ear out for signs of "electrical sillyness".

See ya.
**** it rutsy, where have you been!??!

Well, RocketDaryl, did the engine drop out of the frame or did the battery finally die on you?

Dennis

58 (?) dtg Dubai/Kuwait (?)
59 (?) dtg Home

I've got a2005 Rocket with the original battery. The only time it's seen a charger was early last spring after sitting all winter. It always takes 3-6 cranks to start when cold and 2 or less when she's warm.
And you too seem to have a bed room suite for your FBG. Some of us have to hobble her to a stake; out in the cold overnight or for a couple days.

Essentially the same, Triumph installed RIII OEM battery, is used elsewhere to crank much much smaller pistons. A Oddessy 625 should have been standard.

Last edited:
Back