How Long do I have??????

britman

Nitrous
Ride
2005 Rocket 3/2014 Moto Guzzi Touring
Last Friday I was coming home from work on the FBG and thinking how good the bike has been running lately. When I came to the first stop light the rpms went up to between 1700 to 2000 and stayed there for about a mile. At the next stop they dropped back down to normal. This is the first time the bike has displayed this symptom, if anything it has always had a low idle usually rectified with a 12 minute tune. OK, I know it is the TPS but my question to you guys is how long do I have before it goes completely kaput and the high idle stays. Has there been any pattern to the total failure of the unit? I took the bike out several times this weekend in high heat and traffic and could not duplicate the problem. I just need to know how long I have to collect aluminum cans to help pay for the fix.........

No telling, if i were you i would hurry up and start picking up cans asap, seriously, there is a recall on a lot of r3s for the tps, check with your dealer, you may get it for free, mine is an 05 and is at the dealer now getting it done free of charge, hope this helps.:):)

According to Peter at Triumph, there is no recall. But they MAY replace it under "goodwill" if you take it to a dealer to diagnose and repair. Mine has been getting more frequent, will have it fixed Friday in Christiansburg.

No recall??? the dealer logged the vin number in their computer and that is what came back.Now i am the one getting worried.
I will let you all know if Peter was right or the dealer lied to me.:eek:

There is "A" recall on the early Rockets for tune issues, not the TPS. There is no recall on the TPS.

The only official recall involved replacing the tune to prevent stalling during deceleration. That's all.

George, you may want to go ahead and get one on order. Triumph has been in chronic short supply of them. It took me over a month to get one even after calling dealers all over the country. I finally located one at Baxters in Iowa. You're looking at about $130 for the part plus a little bit for shipping.

When you're ready, I've got a TuneECU setup that we can use to reset/adjust the TPS when you install it. Easy-peasy to do.

I gotta concur with TDragger for sure.
Chronicly short supply chain from Britain.
Mine lasted a few rides before I ordered one,
after that it was the truck till it came in.
Just couldn't see letting it rev to 3,200 constently.

If it happens again.. see about backing off the adjustment on the idle stepper motor. Mine was doing this the last time I took it in for a TPS (second time).. The dealer couldn't duplicate it.. But, when I got home I backed the idle stepper adjustment down to where the bike was idling about 850 RPM.. and I haven't had a problem since.. That's been about 7,000 miles or so ago..

I don't think it will completely South on you.. it will just be a pain to ride until it's fixed..

Also try cleaning your crank angle sensor, real easy to do, just one 8mm bolt. Here's a link to the post. Pictures on pages 2 and 3.

Back