How HOT is your final drive?

RooK

Supercharged
Ride
'06 RIII
I finally got her back together. Took her for a spin, everything seem to be fine. Looking for hot spots , (yes I'm talking about the rocket) touching the final drive it's hot!
I only rode for 25 minutes at 20C, any warmer I wouldn't keep my hand on it.

I changed the oil last year. Had no metal shavings or anything.

Is yours running this hot?

I finally got her back together. Took her for a spin, everything seem to be fine. Looking for hot spots , (yes I'm talking about the rocket) touching the final drive it's hot!
I only rode for 25 minutes at 20C, any warmer I wouldn't keep my hand on it.

I changed the oil last year. Had no metal shavings or anything.

Is yours running this hot?
Have you greased the splines? I mean removing the final drive and grease the spline between the final drive and driveshaft

Also check to see if the wheel centre warm also as you don't want the wheel bearings to go bad. Been thought to have caused rear wheel lockups in the past but I don't know if it has been proven.

After a good ride, I can't keep my hand on my final drive. Right angle gears generate a lot of heat. Where I work, we have a lot of right angle gearboxes driving conveyors. They are not working nearly as hard as a final drive, but still get hot as hell.

Have you greased the splines? I mean removing the final drive and grease the spline between the final drive and driveshaft
I was checking the wheels/bearing when I noticed the final drive.
Drive shaft, wheels were cool. Just the final gear was hot. Didn't notice the center bolt though.

I'll go for a short ride and re/assess it.

I bought an infrared thermometer. Rode for an hour and it read 51C on final drive 55C/131F at the spindle. :/
Dropped the FD oil anyway, it looked good. Little metal dust as usual on the magnet, but the oil looked good for 4500km since last change.
Took the tire off, one bearing is almost seized. I can't turn it without tools. :O

My dealer has the bearings in stock but the seals are on order... So I also ordered new cush drive rubbers, there is a lot of rubber dust coming out of there.

I bought an infrared thermometer. Rode for an hour and it read 51C on final drive 55C/131F at the spindle. :/
Dropped the FD oil anyway, it looked good. Little metal dust as usual on the magnet, but the oil looked good for 4500km since last change.
Took the tire off, one bearing is almost seized. I can't turn it without tools. :O

My dealer has the bearings in stock but the seals are on order... So I also ordered new cush drive rubbers, there is a lot of rubber dust coming out of there.

think you've been lucky there pal !!!
general maintainance is just looking at stuff & seeing its ok - winter is a great time to look at all your wheel bearing's ,seal's brake pads (take em out clean on a wire wheel if your not going to replace them ) only takes a 1/2 hr look to decide if it's ok or not . your bikes probably layed up so good time to change oil's as well , engine & diff , maybe yor brake fluid as well !!!
as an aside i've changed the front pad's again , think i've coshed it this time though !!!!
only done about 3miles but they are working well NOT spongy like before - i'll report in full when i've been out on a proper road test !!

Back