How can I lift the whole bike?

Nateskate

.040 Over
I purchased this jack yesterday. Torin, 1,500 lb $69 at Pepboys.

I tried it this morning and sucessfully lifted the front wheel off the ground. Can I, using wood or something else, lift the whole bike safely?

I have a similar Sears Craftsman model lift. I get it where the front wheel has come off the ground a few inches then I use tie downs (which should be done anyway) to hold the front end down while I continue to lift. The rear wheel comes up just fine and I stop when the bike is level. Just be careful and take your time.

only a stupid question if you don't ask and your R3T falls off the jack. :eek:

From the pic of your jack, notice the wire hoops on the wheel truck closest to the lever, and also on the other end. I attach the tie down to those and then run the other end to the handlebars. You may want to drape a towel over your tank to prevent any scratching.

positioning

I basically have the same jack (only Chiwain yellow). As long as you position it as far back as possible under the engine you will be ok. Yes the front end will come up first, but it will raise the back up too.
I used mine to change the back tire, raised the bike up with the bike lift, and then used my regular floor jack to lower the back wheel out, change tire, then the floor jack to raise the wheel back up to position to put bolt back in. Works great, but be careful to tie off bike so that it can not fall over.
I have a picture in my photo gallery of my bike up on this jack. Rademis

With a piece of 3/4 plywood say 14x22 placed on the pads, roll the lift center of the rear bend of the peg bar which seems to be the balance point for my bike anyway. I have the empty cat box which helps but have done rear wheel removal, washes, maintenance, etc without a problem. You can zero turn the beast in tight quarters as well as roll it anywhere you want. Best investment from harbor freight and mine is china yellow as well.:cool:

I guess I'm gonna have to take a picture of my setup tomorow.

I went a little overboard, well, maybe not. I have a 1 ton IR air hoist on a trolley in my shop so I had a nylon sling made up and I sling the bike from the hoist and lift the whole thing up. You can stand up and do an oil change.....

Makes it easy to look underneath. Now it cost a bit more than the Hardon Fright jack (I have one of those as well) but I use the hoist for other things in the shop.

The Hardon Fright jack is tits for cleaning the chain on the KLR (something you have to do with a chain drive bike) and it's nice for getting the sidecar off the Bonnie as well. I also use ut to get under the '0' turn lawnmower to clean the deck and change the blades so it don't sit around doing nothing.

RE:Lift (Another Dumb Question...)

Hi, Guys;
I'm a 'newbie' Rocket owner, and have been wondering about this. I have a lift that was given to me awhile back (I think it's Harbor Freight) that has 12-14" long pads on it that are rubber covered (pretty thick, too). When you position the jack, do you position it under the engine, or further back? I have avoided using the lift on my Rocket, due to the fact that I did not know where it was safe to position it, and a big crack in the engine case would ruin my whole day!:rolleyes: Any advice, etc would be appreciated!

Hank & the Beast
Kick the Tires, Light the Fires, & HANG ON!!!:eek:

Back