Morgo

73 Bonneville
Ride
Rocket111 06 standard
hello all
just wanted to tell a story.
I bought a 06 few years back with a Jardine exhaust, very loud, maybe too loud.
I switched it back to stock being old and deaf. All seemed well.
Not riding in the dark very often, I failed to notice that the manifold was always glowing red. Eventually I did notice this condition and knew it was bad.
What to do ?
I asked around, and decided that with the cat reinstalled with stock exhaust, must be to restricting. So I put the Jardines back on to create free flowing exhaust.
seems to be much better , but I can still get it glowing close to the engine if ride around 4000rpm.
Is this normal? I'm going to try riding at lower revs, being conscious of this condition.
Damage done though.
Riding around with the stock exhaust and a red hot manifold all the way back to the cat, seems to have caused the stator to fail .
Very expensive repair, and I'm still worried that I have exhaust problems.
gonna look at a different tune in near future.
gotta get it charging first.
no peace of mind 😌

This is "normal" ... BUT not right to be this way. My 2006 did the same thing. The cause is the fueling is too lean. That's right, too lean because the AFR is set way to high like 15:1 to get past the emission requirements. Downloading a better tune will help and solve the problem. But of course the best solution is a proper dyno tune. . The cure is adding more fuel getting The AFR down to something under 14:1. About 13.5:1 many like. If you know how to use TuneECU find tune 20228. It was the latest version for the 2004 to 2009 3 pipe Rockets. Any tune for the Roadster starting in 2010 will NOT work.

Last edited:
right on.
thanks.
I'm gonna limp it 800km to get stator replaced in the morning.
nearest competent dealer.
packing spare battery, headlights unplugged and fingers crossed .

update.
great ride .had the best weather and no issues.
unfortunately no one anticipated a damaged wiring harness as a result or the cause of the stator failure. repairs were stopped while parts are ordered and I had to fly home at even more expense.
while I was making back up plans.
I found a good dyno test shop; where I discussed the heated manifold issue.
as luck would have it. Dave at echo had a good used harness at 1/2 price handy and plans were made to get repairs completed and have bike hauled over to his shop for testing and a new tune or tweak.
hopefully I will make my way back and rocket will be ready in a week and a bit.

Back