Confusing Situation with Horns

I'm sure no one would be surprised if I put a set of these on my bike.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190910-092527_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20190910-092527_Google.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 1
There are 2 hot connections on the oem horn

There aren't
Only one is truly 'hot' - the Black/Blue
The reason the other (Purple/Black) 'appears' hot is because you are measuring the voltage while it is still attached to the horn; there is no current flowing through the horn unless the horn button is pressed so there is no voltage drop across the horn; if you disconnect the Purple/black from the horn and turn on ignition you will find there is NO voltage on the wire, but if you measure on that open terminal, you will see it there.

There aren't
Only one is truly 'hot' - the Black/Blue
The reason the other (Purple/Black) 'appears' hot is because you are measuring the voltage while it is still attached to the horn; there is no current flowing through the horn unless the horn button is pressed so there is no voltage drop across the horn; if you disconnect the Purple/black from the horn and turn on ignition you will find there is NO voltage on the wire, but if you measure on that open terminal, you will see it there.
Thanks for the replay!, actually, the horn was out when i tested both terminals
will check today when it gets a little cooler, so which one is positive?

Couldn't possibly be Lupe - when you disconnect the Purple/Black from the horn then the Purple black is no different than a piece of wire just lying on your bench - not connected electrically to anything (well the other end goes to the horn switch, but unless the switch is actually pressed it is not actually connected to anything)
Black/Blue is the positive

Couldn't possibly be Lupe - when you disconnect the Purple/Black from the horn then the Purple black is no different than a piece of wire just lying on your bench - not connected electrically to anything (well the other end goes to the horn switch, but unless the switch is actually pressed it is not actually connected to anything)
Black/Blue is the positive
I will check again, maybe i was halfway a sleep that day, had too many irons on the fire lately and my head now working right, :)
So how do i connect a horn that has only one wire connector and the ground it gets it from the frame?

You need to use a relay
Connect the two original wires from the OEM horn - Black/blue to 86 and Purple/Black to 85.
Connect a fused (20A) from the battery plus to the 30 terminal
Connect the 87 terminal to the new horn plus
Connect a ground wire from the mounting bracket of the horn to the engine ground.

You need to use a relay
Connect the two original wires from the OEM horn - Black/blue to 86 and Purple/Black to 85.
Connect a fused (20A) from the battery plus to the 30 terminal
Connect the 87 terminal to the new horn plus
Connect a ground wire from the mounting bracket of the horn to the engine ground.
I have that, ran out of time,had to mow 3 yards:eek: will continue tomorrow, thanks for the help:)

Well, I give up for now, tried 10 different ways and not working, will either forget about it or use another set like the one I had on my 05, this is the relay kit that i have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back