HOLY MOLEY - MC SAFETY STATS

1olbull

Riding Motor Since 1950
Ride
2012 R3R "Kong" - 2011 R3R "YurMama"
This article impressed me enough that I felt obliged to share it with my R3Owners.net motor brothers. I reckon this information worthy of pondering and thoughtful consideration. :D :inlove :thumbsup:

The IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) has come out with some fresh data in a story entitled:
Helping vehicles 'see' motorcyclists could cut crashes
Of particular interest:
1) Over a third (36%) of MC versus cage fatal crashes are the result of the cage turning left in front of the motor.
2) In fatal crashes between a motor and a cage traveling in opposite directions, the motor strayed from its lane MORE than the cage.
3) In fatal crashes involving a motor versus cage traveling in opposite directions in a curve, TWO THIRDS were the result of the motor crossing the center line.
4) ABS on motors reduces the rate of fatal crashes by 31%, compared to motors that do not have ABS!
Car tech could protect motorcyclists
Ride Free - With Spirit - Be Safe!

I would be interested to see the same stat's in countries where obtaining a bike permit is (shall we say) stringent.

Like many of us here I have some years under my belt and so avoided the tiered permits now in force here. BUT on today's roads - frankly they are probably a good idea. I am sure I must have made errors in the past that were OK as there was less traffic. I'm just glad I don't have to take the test now.

But the crossing the white line thing is huge in the Power Ranger fraternity.

And would most certainly like to see the demographics. Esp EXPERIENCE

mundial-sbk-melandri-sykes-rea.jpg

OK define crossing the centre line.
I use this photo ONLY to illustrate that where most traffic laws indicate the tyres must not cross the line - This does not mean the rider has not.
And I am concious of it on left handers when I am feeling liberal with the right grip.
And occasionally on right handers when the pilgrims are out walking. Not all roads here have footpaths.

In my 50 years of MC riding, I have always felt that the only reason other drivers are on the road is to kill me and it is a challenge I have readily accepted! Just like throughout my military flying career, I am always watching out for the other guy and looking for avenues to escape potential problems. Keeping your head swiveling and not trusting the "assumed" actions of other drivers makes one more cautious and safer. Not that I don't like to open it up though...

Last edited:
The last ten years riding has become more dangerous I think, do to text messaging!! Nothing tightens my ass more than A$$holes Swerving across the lines as they text!! I want to hunt them down and kill them! Their text is more important then my life!! Die mfer die!!

Due to marriage, house, family, and related economic things, I took some time off riding. When I got back into riding I made it a point to practice the get back to basics stuff. With the onslaught of entertainment wizardry in todays cars and trucks combined with cell phones as Jag points out, it's quite obvious that cagers are out to kill or at least maim us motorcycle riders.

When I first stated riding at about 15, I thought that every car driver was out to kill me, of coarse I was always going as fast as could.
It got worse as I got bigger bikes (I bought a '73 750 Combat Commando one week before I turned 17)
In hindsight the real problem was that at that age, and going as fast as I could, drivers simply didn't see me whilst I was travelling at 100MPH, they would look left and right, road clear and pull out.
Of coarse at 100MPH I was in their face in no time at all, and of coarse it was all their fault !

I've slowed down over the years, as we do, but still have that same "They're out to kill me attitude"
This has kept me alive many, many times when it is the drivers fault and I've been able to take the appropriate action.

12715636_10153968896138130_1161396901685379121_n.jpg

Back