zimtuff

Nitrous
Ride
2008 Trimuph Rocket
How many owners use the highway pegs? I got some with my 08 model I bought a few weeks back.
They felt awkward and badly positioned ,so I removed them.
Ive had another try at finding the sweet spot but with no luck
They feel like they would be dangerous in an emergency,anyone else feel like that?

I don't use them. The Tiger 1050 puts the rider in the proper riding position so that those sorts of things aren't necessary. The Thunderbird has slightly forward controls. I say slightly because while they're definitely not mid-mounts, they're nowhere near as far forward as Harley forward controls. They're actually perfect for me. I use 3 different foot placements (placement on the pegs) with them: hook them with heel, heel standing on them, and when I really want to stretch out for a bit, I rest my achilles on top of the pegs. Resting the achilles sounds like it'd be uncomfortable, but it's not. I wear over the ankle boots and they're padded in that area so it's actually quite comfortable. I'll also occasionally drop the passenger pegs and rest my feet on them for a bit when I'm on a long trip. I find all of these things work better for me than highway pegs.

As a side benefit, my bikes retain their good looks. Nothing detracts from the look of a bike (except a touring type bike) more than those ugly ass dresser bars sticking out from the sides of the bike.

Last edited:
Ah,,,young Daryl, but for those of us who know them by their proper name "crash bars" they can spare you a lot of grief if you ever have the misfortune to lay it down, both in avoiding "major" damage to the engine and bars and also keeping all that weight off of your leg in case you didn't get out from under it.

This is more a case of "substance" over style.

Dennis

Flying out today
Tomorrow Dubai
2 days to Kandahar

How many owners use the highway pegs? I got some with my 08 model I bought a few weeks back.
They felt awkward and badly positioned ,so I removed them.
Ive had another try at finding the sweet spot but with no luck
They feel like they would be dangerous in an emergency,anyone else feel like that?
Triumph has adjustable peg mounts for their highway pegs, you might look into a set of those.

Ah,,,young Daryl, but for those of us who know them by their proper name "crash bars" they can spare you a lot of grief if you ever have the misfortune to lay it down, both in avoiding "major" damage to the engine and bars and also keeping all that weight off of your leg in case you didn't get out from under it.

This is more a case of "substance" over style.

Dennis

Flying out today
Tomorrow Dubai
2 days to Kandahar

Don't quote me on it, but I don't *think* they're strong enough or even intended to serve as protective equipment except maybe in a very low speed (parking lot) tip over. But, it matters not. Like anything else, it's personal preference. I choose to wear a helmet (fullface most of the time), yet I have friends that think they look dorky.

I don't use them. The Tiger 1050 puts the rider in the proper riding position so that those sorts of things aren't necessary. The Thunderbird has slightly forward controls. I say slightly because while they're definitely not mid-mounts, they're nowhere near as far forward as Harley forward controls. They're actually perfect for me. I use 3 different foot placements (placement on the pegs) with them: hook them with heel, heel standing on them, and when I really want to stretch out for a bit, I rest my achilles on top of the pegs. Resting the achilles sounds like it'd be uncomfortable, but it's not. I wear over the ankle boots and they're padded in that area so it's actually quite comfortable. I'll also occasionally drop the passenger pegs and rest my feet on them for a bit when I'm on a long trip. I find all of these things work better for me than highway pegs.

As a side benefit, my bikes retain their good looks. Nothing detracts from the look of a bike (except a touring type bike) more than those ugly ass dresser bars sticking out from the sides of the bike.

Im not as big fan of the crash bars,but they can save you some money in minor incidents.

Triumph has adjustable peg mounts for their highway pegs, you might look into a set of those.

I have the triumph pegs but it doesnt matter where they are ,it just seems a ridiculous way to ride.
I guess I was bult for floor boards

rocketdaryl the crash bars holds up real well when i totaled my bike last year they was no engine damage thanks to the crash bars i had pix posted at one time sure they r still here somewhere

rocketdaryl the crash bars holds up real well when i totaled my bike last year they was no engine damage thanks to the crash bars i had pix posted at one time sure they r still here somewhere

Glad to hear they held up for you. I've always been told they weren't that strong. I still wouldn't put them on my bike, but again, just a personal opinion in terms of how they look.

I have front and rear crash bars for protection, not for looks.
The Triumph highway pegs with adjustable mounts are a very nice addition, IMO. They allow me to stretch out when I want and to change positions when the seat starts to bother me. If I want to slam the twisties hard, though, it's best to fold the pegs in, so I don't grind 'em down too fast.;)

I have the dresser bars and Triumph adjustable highway pegs; I like them both.

The "crash" bars have already saved me grief and $$$ by holding the bike up when I did a low-speed drop. Doh!

The highway pegs are great. I ride a lot, though. A comfy seat and nice pegs are mandatory on 5K mile plus rides. But hey, my arse isn't as tough as you other leatherbutts out there, so I kind of like any extra comfort I can find.

I'm leaving on May 27 for a 10K mile rider and the floorboards just won't cut it...

Oh, and you really need to adjust the pegs to match your riding style. I finally got it down to a "T" after numerous adjustments.

Back