Highway/Engine guard bars

pjsmithres

SD Dreadnought
Ride
2005 Rocket, Haze Grey,
Does anyone have teh OEM wide engine guards.
The lower connection site is weak. I put highway pegs on the bars and I set my feet on the pegs and the bars bent forward. EEEKKK.
Has anyone figured this out?
I am cutting Stainless steel 3/16th to fit and back it up, but the flange is 1/8th crap and needs reinforcement.
I looked at newest model and top fitting is a bit better that 05 version but the bottom is still 1/8th and weak.
Please share any ideas or solutions.

Does anyone have teh OEM wide engine guards.
The lower connection site is weak. I put highway pegs on the bars and I set my feet on the pegs and the bars bent forward. EEEKKK.
Has anyone figured this out?
I am cutting Stainless steel 3/16th to fit and back it up, but the flange is 1/8th crap and needs reinforcement.
I looked at newest model and top fitting is a bit better that 05 version but the bottom is still 1/8th and weak.
Please share any ideas or solutions.

Hi PJ welcome from downunder..
Don't quite follow I have Triumph crash bars on my 05 but I didn't bother fitting the fold up touring foot rest.. is tek the manufactuer?

Perhaps you could post a picture?

My understanding is that the original OEM engine bars were absolute crap so Triumph improved them for their 2nd generation. The 2nd gen bars are comparable to the bars available from Rivco. Captains seem pretty satisfied with the 2nd gen OEM bars although there are stronger/thicker aftermarket alternatives (not Rivco) out there.

I have the later model engine bars and they are solid as, I believe the earlier ones were pretty crappy but mine didnt move in an inch in a low speed muddy car park slip an fall when the front wheel decided to ho the other way to which I wanted it to go

My understanding is that the original OEM engine bars were absolute crap so Triumph improved them for their 2nd generation. The 2nd gen bars are comparable to the bars available from Rivco. Captains seem pretty satisfied with the 2nd gen OEM bars although there are stronger/thicker aftermarket alternatives (not Rivco) out there.

Got it.. I didn't know about the early bars, I must have the later ones.
So that would account for my rear dresser bars being so weak and flimsy, the mount brackets are really crappy.. thanks for the update JC.

Engine Guards

Thanks for your input.
I have the 05 and stock Triumph engine guard bars.
I put the large Kuryakyn higway footrests at the outer edges and the bars bend forward and down with any pressure on the pegs.
If you put any weight on the pegs the bottom connection is crap.

I get the cut metal back on Monday and will test prototype for strength and will post pics. bars and brackets are at metal shop today. I did check on the newest model and they beefed up the top fitting, but IMHO teh bottom connection is still crap because teh end of the bar is still out there with no attachment to the frame.

My new prototype will have a 3/16" Stainless plate to back up the end of the 1/8" fitting.

I'll let you know as it gets done.

New/old bars

the newest ones in the showroom look like the same crap
I'll try a fix and if I screw it up it's less than the quote for deler to try to fix. It appears that the concensus at the shop that the new bars are still crap. done well a new set is 229.00 and new steel sheet and re-chrome. about $400 BUT INDESTRUCTABLE

Got it.. I didn't know about the early bars, I must have the later ones.
So that would account for my rear dresser bars being so weak and flimsy, the mount brackets are really crappy.. thanks for the update JC.

I had both sets of the engine guards and the second generation was thicker and a lot more solid on the bike.

Dennis

Back