Highbeam dash light always on

CrackaNMC

.020 Over
Hi all

Have an 06 rocket that has aftermarket headlights on it. The new lights are wired to plug into the main harness and are not spliced into anything.

When I bought the bike the left front low beam was out so I replaced both bulbs. While replacing the left bulb I noticed the male connector from the bulb had come loose and been shorting to the earth. cant see any melting anywhere other than a small amount on the plug.

Now the bulbs are replaced the high beam blue light on the dash is acting up even though the lights do change from low to hi and back as they should.

With hi/low switch on low turn ignition on and no blue light on dash. flick hi/low switch to hi and blue light comes on, flick back to low and blue light on dash stays on. From then on the blue dash light stays on always while ignition is on.

With hi/low switch on low turn ignition on and no blue light on dash, start bike up and after a few seconds the blue light comes on and stays on while ignition is on.

After studying the wiring diagram I pulled right hand side cover off and located the 5 prong relay. I noticed that when the blue light on the dash stayed on I could tap the relay and the blue light would go out as it should on low beam.

I replaced this relay with a brand new one but this didnt fix the problem!!

Pulled the bottom off the ignition switch but could not see any melted solder.

Pulled the left handlebar control switches apart and couldnt see anything there either.

Ive checked to ake sure the correct wires from the heaqdlight bulbs are mating up with the right ones on the harnes plugs.

Pretty well stumped at this stage and of course triumph have never heard of this happening.

Anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

Thanks Cracka

Who makes the aftermarket lights? What kind of bulbs are you running? Do these new lights fit the original bucket or are they new buckets as well? Something is cross to be setting the relay to turn on dash. Could be a ground issue in the bucket.

mutt

Not sure what brand of light they are. Some inexpensive small lights mounted in a similar fashion as a harley. the bike doesnt have the triumph lighting brackets anymore. its actually a nice clean look, just tripple trees and lights.

The bulbs appear to be wired according to the wiring diagram. 3 wire to main light and the parking light also.

I am thinking the parking light circuit is some how feeding the blue light on the dash, the parking circuit is separate from the headlight except for the earth. If it is connected to the headlight circuit it will supply power to the dash light even though you are on low beam.

Thanks for your help guys.

I found and fixed the problem. The new headlight pigtails were wired up wrongly. In fact only the parkers were correct.

Got me stuffed how I had any lights at all...

Anyway they are bright, working as they should and the little blue light is all cool now.

Cheers

Cracka

Back