High speed, laid over, bump then...

Keith_H

.020 Over
Now that I have some new tires and miles on my R3C, I'm starting to ride it more aggressive which is my custom with bikes. Last weekend I was pushing it pretty hard through the curves and I noticed a disturbing wobble if I hit a bump in the road while leaned way over (near scraping). I'm assuming these bikes must have crappy rear shocks (like my Harleys). Just checking with you all to confirm this.

I usually run 440's on my other bikes and while they are stiffer, they don't make me pucker like I was this weekend. :eek:

The stock shocks are garbage, I replaced my rear shocks with 440's shortly after buying the bike, huge improvement. There were times I thought the Rocket was going to buck me off the bike after going over bumps and potholes.

I just replaced the rears with 440's and front with progressive springs. I love the difference despite being told that it was the wrong thing to do.
The standard 440's are working fine for what I use the bike for (commuting), Heavy duty might be better for some who load the bike more.
The most noticeable improvement has been that highway expansion bumps don't bounce my ass out of the seat anymore.

I just replaced the rears with 440's and front with progressive springs. I love the difference despite being told that it was the wrong thing to do.
The standard 440's are working fine for what I use the bike for (commuting), Heavy duty might be better for some who load the bike more.
The most noticeable improvement has been that highway expansion bumps don't bounce my ass out of the seat anymore.

Who told you it was the wrong thing to do and what was their reasoning?

It was pointed out to me that progressive springs "are stiffer than stock" and "only changing the oil viscosity will change the ride". I'm happy with it, my ass is happy with it and that's what matters. Since I had to hold the shims down myself, I have to disagree with their assessment of being stiffer. And to me, the ride is better with less shock to the senses over bumps. I don't believe I would want a different oil in the forks, this combination feels just fine to me and it DID soften up.

It was pointed out to me that progressive springs "are stiffer than stock" and "only changing the oil viscosity will change the ride". I'm happy with it, my ass is happy with it and that's what matters. Since I had to hold the shims down myself, I have to disagree with their assessment of being stiffer. And to me, the ride is better with less shock to the senses over bumps. I don't believe I would want a different oil in the forks, this combination feels just fine to me and it DID soften up.

If you are happy, that's all that matters. Just keep in mind that for a little more bread, you can go to remote reservoir clicker shocks that allow you to dial in the dampening rate for personal preference and it's easy to change out the springs as well (not so easy on the Progressives) you need a special tool or at least be able to machine one.

If you are happy, that's all that matters. Just keep in mind that for a little more bread, you can go to remote reservoir clicker shocks that allow you to dial in the dampening rate for personal preference and it's easy to change out the springs as well (not so easy on the Progressives) you need a special tool or at least be able to machine one.

..let's hear some more about that flipster..got a link???...or where to buy??..

One thing I really love about my Tiger (and most sport / sport touring bikes) is the fully adjustable suspension. It's amazing how much difference a simple change in the rebound or dampening will make.

Back