patrol21

.060 Over
Ride
2009 R3 RAMAIR Intake Full Jardine Exhaust Cor
aloha all

Spring in upstate NY and like all springs a new issue. Starting fine...while idling I get a click ( always have) and bike stalls. It's now and then and chalked it up to a sticky stepper motor. Still does 30,000 miles later and not really an issue. What is the issue is my idle. Bike starts and idles after a moment at 900. Perfect. Put some fuel on it and it's slow to come off approx 2100 and sticks at 1200. Sometimes slowly goes back to 900 but it's hit and miss. Thoughts? Running RAMAIR intake and going to take apart, clean, check and spray a touch of silicone on wires this eve. Also run some wd40 thru throttle cables to see if I have a sticky one but leaning toward the stepper hanging up a touch. What's process for cleaning and if necessary lub? Could also be the primary TPS but going to start with the easy fixes and work my way from there. Input?

I had that issue, ordered a new TPS, while I was waiting I adjusted the tps with TuneECU, I still have the new tps in my bag 4 years later.

I had that issue, ordered a new TPS, while I was waiting I adjusted the tps with TuneECU, I still have the new tps in my bag 4 years later.
I have tune ecu...never tried adjusting. Not looking at right now but what function did you use

My high idle issue was mechanical. Due to road grime, I had worn out the Teflon pieces of the forward throttle linkage. The bike could not shift from high starting idle back down to normal warmed up idle.

Been a few years, off the top of my head, it was intuitive, but you need the values, .60 and .72, hang on, I think I saved the thread here on it.

Android

Dug into it...had some general maintenance anyway....found I had a tear in the rubber intake section on the RAMAIR unit. Quite a large one actually. Superglue and alls well. Decided to reload my MAP also, tweak the speedo, replace brake fluids, oil change, rear differential fluid change, run some lube down the cables, clean RAMAIR filter, clean some connections, replace rear pads, drink beer.

Dug into it...had some general maintenance anyway....found I had a tear in the rubber intake section on the RAMAIR unit. Quite a large one actually. Superglue and alls well. Decided to reload my MAP also, tweak the speedo, replace brake fluids, oil change, rear differential fluid change, run some lube down the cables, clean RAMAIR filter, clean some connections, replace rear pads, drink beer.
Issue came back, rechecked the RAMAIR and its fine. Idle started running at 2500, then normal...no rhyme or reason, all over the place. I removed the stepper motor and bikes idles at 650-700 and and throttle return is perfect. Seems my stepper motor was hanging up. I did adjust my cables a touch also. Actually added a bit of slack. Anyhow, and not sure if I have a lose coil connection, some bad fuel, a fouled plug but I have a very mild hesitation now and then at constant speed and decel..It's not all the time. Bike does have 30 k on it, so plug change is first and check connections to coils as I did see that this happens to a number of folks. It also has me thinking the fuel filter which from what I read is internal inside the tank? Ugh. Gremlins

I dunno, but from what I've read, the only thing that the whole "stepper motor" and it's associated wiring, etc. does, is raise the idle a tad, for cold start-ups. Seeing as how I've already remove the secondary butterfly's, I might just take BOTH of these motor doo dads off completely, and toss them on a shelf. I have a good throttle lock/cruise control device that will hold a fast idle, "IF" I need it. I also know when I take off the things, I'll probably wind up with a check engine light, but not sure?

the idle stepper motor sets the idle and when it is turned off it closes the throttle to close intake so no air will enter the engine. on carburated motors it was possible to have run on when u turned off the ign by sucking to much air and gas.
the idle stepper motor is a safety feature and needs to be there because that is the way it was designed.
now it was said that idle stepper motor was taken off and it still idled ok that doesn't seem right to me.

Back