High Idle Problem

Fixitbaz

.020 Over
Ride
2005 Tribal Orange Triumph Rocket 3
Some advice needed please.

I have just finished fitted a PCIII with O2 elimator and a 3 K&N'S to my R3 that allready had TORS and decat box fitted.

I have removed the secondaries and down loaded the the map below to the PCIII. I intend to fit a GI-PRO also to the R3 but still waiting on it to arrive.

2004-2006 Triumph Rocket III
D&D 3:2 full Exhaust
Air box removed
K&N individual filters

The problem I have is the idle is sitting at at round 1800 rpm is this due to the GI-PRO not being fitted as yet, if not is there anyway in resetting the idle back to normal around 800 to 900 rpm is there something in the PCIII that controls the idle.

Cheers
Barry

Some advice needed please.

I have just finished fitted a PCIII with O2 elimator and a 3 K&N'S to my R3 that allready had TORS and decat box fitted.

I have removed the secondaries and down loaded the the map below to the PCIII. I intend to fit a GI-PRO also to the R3 but still waiting on it to arrive.

2004-2006 Triumph Rocket III
D&D 3:2 full Exhaust
Air box removed
K&N individual filters

The problem I have is the idle is sitting at at round 1800 rpm is this due to the GI-PRO not being fitted as yet, if not is there anyway in resetting the idle back to normal around 800 to 900 rpm is there something in the PCIII that controls the idle.

Cheers
Barry

Did you ever experience the high idle situation prior to this latest work? If so, you may have a primary throttle position sensor going bad. Many of the 04-07 models have had to have the primary tps replaced.

If the high idle problem just started with the new mods, then it's beyond my expertise.

edit: another thought might be that you somehow moved the primary tps during the install. TuneECU will allow you to check. All you need is a $20 cable from Amazon or fleabay and access to a computer.

You can also bring the idle down by adjusting the nut on the idle stepper motor. It's about a 7 mm nut located on the back side of the idle stepper motor. You can get to it without removing the bear claw.

Most people will probably say don't touch this. But I've had my Rocket for 62,000+ miles now and I'm not afraid to adjust anything on it, if needed. I've had mine backed off for quite a while now. It does make a quiet "solenoid" type noise when you first turn on the key, but after the bike's started that stops and all is great.

Thanks for the quick replies. the idle was perfect before fitting the PCIII, K&N'S and removing he secondaires. Can't understand why the idle increased so much as the throttle butterflies are returning to there stops it must be something to do with removing the secondaries and having the extra airflow :confused::confused::confused:

Barry

Thanks for the quick replies. the idle was perfect before fitting the PCIII, K&N'S and removing he secondaires. Can't understand why the idle increased so much as the throttle butterflies are returning to there stops it must be something to do with removing the secondaries and having the extra airflow :confused::confused::confused:

Barry

The only difference in my setup is the PCIII. When I fitted the K&Ns and removed the secondaries, I did not have the issue.

Try disconnecting the PCIII and see if the idle returns to normal.

That's all I can think of as well, back-track your steps and disconnect the PCIII while looking for vacuum lines left off and try to remember if the TPS was disturbed.
Nothing you mentioned by itself should cause this problem unless something else in the area was bumped.
It would sound coincidental, but a TPS failing can occur at any time.
What color are the guts? If they aren't blue it's the old version TPS.

I've checked everything on the R3 and all are plugged in and operating correctly.

When I disconnect the PCIII form the R3 the idle goes back to normal around 900 rpm.

I have uploaded a zero map to the PCIII and tried it that way but still have the high idle problem.

My original ECU has the Tors and decat map loaded to it from my Triumph dealer could this be the problem should the orginal ECU be set back to standard or won't this matter. :confused::confused::confused:

The only other thing it can be is a faulty PCIII. :(:(:(

Back