laraza

Turbocharged
Ride
09 R3 Classic
Has anybody fitted an HID kit to their R3T?

Was the install straightforward? did the ballast fit in the headlight bucket?

Thanks in advance guys, tried the search function but failed miserably :(

I did it on my bike and promptly removed it a week later. The stock head lamp is plastic not metal and glass an hid will discolor the inside and the opening was a bit too small for the set up I had so it had the be widened. The glass assembly it would fit with out an issue but all the wiring had to be hidden behind the fork cover. While it was brighter I decided to stick with a 100w bulb

One other trait with HID lighting that most people don't realize is that for the HID bulb to 'fire off', it takes a lot of amperage. Once it's running, the draw is much less. All the R3's have 'always on' headlamps and the current draw across the battery from the HID and the starter could get to be too much for the electrical system or the battery. If I was to go HID, I'd put a seperate switch in to disable the headlamp until the bike was running, just to ease the load a bit.....

I heard the "Light" the bulb fits in has the reflecting surface set up differently to make sure the "beam" is condensed and works properly.

I have those fancy high-dollar Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's installed, they are a good bulb but very pricey. They got rid of that "yellowish" tint you see looking into standard headlights and makes a sharper "white". I was worried they would have that "blue" tint you see in some of the kiddie kars running around here but they look nice and illuminate the road well. I recommend them if you are willing to spend alot on light bulbs, I'm not totally convinced the bang for the buck is all there, I got suckered in by a 15 minute infomercial on them.

Last edited:
Bought the HIDs about a year or more ago.
I could get them to light up on either high beam,
or low beam, but never both like they were suppose to.
I know there is a way to do it,
because the dealer took one in on trade that had HID's working.
I just never could figure it out.
still got them in the toy box if anybody wants to try it out.
I'll sure make ya a deal on em..

How about the PIAA?

I found this bulb online for about $50. Is it any good?

Here's what the blurb said: PIAA: H4 60/55W=135/125W Super Plasma GT-X Anti-Vibration Single Light Bulb

Puts out 135 Watts of Light from 60 Watts of power!

A new addition to PIAA's line of high performance bulbs is the Super Plasma GT-X with a unique twin beam design. The low beam is a purple color shining at 5000K, while the high beam maintains Xtreme White performance at 3800K A purple colored top-coat gives the headlamp a purple look even when the lamp is turned off.
  • Scientifically Engineered to exacting Specifications – Utilizing the Latest in Integrated Computer Aided Technology
  • 100% Tested at Each Step of the Manufacturing Process
  • High Quality Heat Resistant Glass Tube
  • Welded Focus Ring that Assures Proper Positioning
  • Provides Brighter Light from Less Amps
  • One Piece Filament Support Allows Proper Support and Positioning
  • Metal Bond Holds the Glass Tube Securely – Preventing Cracks and Leaks
  • XTRA technology for greater output and performance
  • 100% quality control testing for perfect performance
  • 1-year manufacturers performance warranty
FITS: Triumph
Bonneville, '06-07 (High and Low Beam)
Scrambler, '06-07 (High and Low Beam)