HID Headlight Conversion

MileEater

.040 Over
HID conversions used to be really pricey (unless you're Leno). A while ago a place in San Diego started offering very nice kits and I converted my Tiger 1050. IMOP good mounting points for auxiliary lighting are as hard to find on a Rocket III as it is to find a good woman. (I have too much experience with both). So I converted over my Rocket III to HID yesterday.

I remember reading about someone else doing this conversion on this forum but didn't find it when I searched. Anyway I also think I remember they didn't include any pictures. We all like pictures of mounting points, er HID conversions so here you go.

This is the kit I decided to go with:

I Got this off eBay. Vince says "You know the German's always make good stuff."

You will get both sides with this kit.

First is remove the double buckets completely

Ready to start:

You're going to need to make a new hole in each bucket. I used a set of calipers to measure the grommet so I'd know how big a hole to make:

Turns out I could use the same hole cutter I used for my Tiger, but that was plastic and this was steel...

Now you need to lay out where your new holes will be :)
I used some tape to mark center lines. This won't be visible once it's all back together but might as well be as symmetric as possible:

Nothing you do when working on your Rocket III is complete without at least one screw-up. With luck once that one is past you won't have another. In my case one screw-up took me to the second one. I'll explain in a minute:

So the hole cutter has something like a drill bit down the middle to pilot the hole where you want it. Unlike my usually wondering mind this time I even center punched where I wanted the holes. This was of course necessary, but it also meant you could look at the buckets from the other side and verify the holes were going to be in the right place. In my experience it's usually unfortunate to drill in the wrong place.

The first hole, on the left, went pretty easy. When I went to drill the second hole the pilot bit snapped off. Now no way to pilot the whole cutter. Should be no problem. I have lots of bits. The torque of snapping the pilot bit had set the bit so hard against the set screw there was never going to be enough power to fix it. I tried to get the busted bit out for an hour.

So I got the largest bit I had (I'd already drilled a hole when I broke the pilot bit) and drilled a nice big hole. I now had a hole about 50% as large as needed. Half way there right? That's when I figured out an easy way to remove the busted pilot bit from the hole cutter... only now I couldn't use the whole cutter even if I had fixed it. :)

I used a conical grinding thingy to open up the whole so it would be large enough for me. Also removed any burrs from both wholes (It's good to do that.). This is where I made the new holes:

new holes:

You should be wondering if there is enough room inside the bucket for the necessary new wiring, especially the H4 plug adapter. I know I was....

The answer is yes, but it's a little fussy getting it all back together.

At this point it should be a simple job of installing the new H4 HID units into where the old H4 bulbs went. These things are 100% standard, ISO, NIST, etc... right? (Not hardly) It took me a bit to figure out exactly where they new HID units interfered with the Triumph reflector housings. The fit was really tight, so I flat filed the HID plastic bases a little. Once they would go in part way I saw the real problem. It was one of those square peg round hole problems. (Actually that's not how I remember Peg...)

side by side:

Ready to rock and roll?

There was no one there to take a video of me making my next real screw-up. The Triumph reflector housings are plastic and easy to cut as needed. BUT do not use your Dremel cutter like I did. Use ANYTHING ELSE. I spent two hours cleaning plastic dust out of the housings. I think an easy way would be to heat a flat blade screw driver and melt out the part to fit. :)

The next step is to install the new HID units:

Now the rubbers:

It's a real pain getting all the new wiring through the dust/moisture barrier but it can be done. I used a pair of needle nose pliers to work it through. The hole was too small and tight. but it can be done.

OK, now ready to reassemble the buckets!

Here is a quiz for you:

1) Do you need to refit the housing mounting ring before assembling the reflector housing to the bucket?
2) Do you remember how they looked when they came apart?

answer is yes and no.

One down one to go:

One more quiz:
1) Are the chrome reflector rings the same right and left? These are the things that hold it all togethere.

answer: NO one is for the right side and one for the left! :-(

Everything married back together again:

Back on the bike:

btw: That's my wife cleaning the Rocket :) She made me promise she would not be in any of the pictures I posted....

Another view:

So, how did it turn out?

H4s (as you know) are a high/low beam. In this HID kit the low beam is HID and the high beam runs as halogen. So when you switch low/high etc the color turns from really white (low) to really yellow (high). I don't know of any kits that do H4 HID high and low but hey, these were made in Germany... Still it would be nice to have both beams HID.

None of the wiring has really been changed, it's either high or low. You could change this so they'd both be on for high beam but I think there would be a lot more heat.

What I found when I tried them was that the high beam worked on both sides, but the low HID beam only lit on the right side. I hate it when this happens. So I switched the igniter around... what I found was that both eventually do come on, at least when you're driving. I'm not getting the amps needed to start both igniters through the ignition switch!

Usually by now I would have installed headlight relays anyway... but I'll do that next weekend. They cost about 5$ US, and would cost nothing for Triumph to put in to begin with... grrrr.

Once I install the relays the high beams will be a lot brighter too.

I'm terrible at adjusting headlights on a Rocket III and a Tiger.... :) hope I don't blind anyone. When I was checking out how bright the HID low beams where they left after images in my eyes for half an hour.

Cheers
Roy

I don't know of any kits that do H4 HID high and low but hey, these were made in Germany... Still it would be nice to have both beams HID.
Cheers
Roy
Roy - there are two sorts of hi/lo HID. One has a HID burner for Dip and another for Main. These are frankly a waste of time (as well as **** expensive) as HID burners (they're not bulbs really) hate being cycled on/off. Also you have twice as many exciter boxes to hide. So your're better off with a DIP HID that is wired on PERMANENTLY and a flashable halogen main. The problem is ime that those halogen's are **** weak.

The other sort has one HID burner in a special moving cradle - this cradle is moved by an electromagnet wired to the main beam wires. The HID burner is simply always on. I've this sort fitted into my 4WD. The Rocket is one of teh few bikes where this sort of HID is useful. Why - well if the HID dies you've no light - so it's really only practical with twin(or more) headlights fitted. I do have a set sat waiting for my R3 - but as summer's almost here it's not high on my todo list.

After a week or so I thought I should update with a change I made. The kit I chose is heavy duty, it wasn't drawing enough current to fire up both ballasts at key on. HIDs don't draw much after they are on, but they do when starting (I guess). Anyway the ignition switch wasn't delivering the necessary current.

I'm no electrical engineer, I just observed that one or the other would lite but not both until riding around. I didn't like this so I just installed an Eastern Beaver kit:

Link Removed.

Link Removed.

This kit also means the high beams are brighter too since their current is also not routed through the ignition switch.

Very good stuff from Easter Beaver, I've now ordered several things from them for different bikes and always top quality items.

Cheers,

Roy

Just fitted one of two hid's. It's been a while since I worked on a bike of any sort and finding good points to mount the hardware on a R3 was always going to be a major task. The instructions stated it would take some 45 minutes...hmm, maybe if you wanted the finished article to ruin the look of the bike with wires hanging out all over the place! Anyway, first one fitted after a few hours of contemplating where the hardware was going to go. Haven't been out on the road yet but first impressions are very good.

The unit, specific to the Rocket, can be found here

Something very noticeable when I fired them up, apart from the obvious difference in brightness, was the instant 'on' of the hi beam compared to the delay in the standard halogen.

One hid, one halogen....hopefully the second fitting will take considerably less time than the first.

Welcome Steve, looks like a good conversion.

Thanks Paul, I'll know that for sure when I try and turn left or right and discover that my turning circle has degraded by 95% due to cable lengths :D

Important thing for me was to keep things tidy so it took a bit of imagination to hide the ballast in a naked R3 as options are limited.

Local with similar taste in motor vehicles I see......AMOC, area 5, meet down your way in Chaddesley Corbett, 1st Wednesday every month.

The bulb looks like an exact fit replacement

It is Roy, so no drama in fitting that part. In fact the entire headlight unit, other than the lens, stayed in situ. No cutting involved just a lot of wire threading. Looking at what you went through above, I'm not sure I'd have had the patience. :thumbsup:

Once I started cutting how much patience I had wasn't very important. I am really pleased with the nice bright lights now. The high-beam seems very yellow.

I have to say I'm no good at all aiming the RIII headlights though. Up and down is no problem. Right to left though.. getting them to converge on some point on the ground... not easy.

Cheers
Roy

p.s. For all those still running yellow... this is one of the mods that really delivers value for the investment.

Back