Hi There ! NOOB question for the Experience mechanic !

MrTr3

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket III Roadster 2010
HI there , Im quite new to the forum and have a rather technical question. please assist if you can

I luckily ride a rocket three roadster 2010 and it has been the best bike I've owned to date !

the bike has slash pipes and K&N air filter, and has been running like a dream , apart from .....

the bike had an issue where the 30A main fuse was melting in the fuse holder , I replace 3 fuses over three months and finally took it to the shop , apart from the Fuse issue the bike was running perfectly. no over fuelling no stalling no idle issue . reliably Getting about 140 miles to a tank .

the shop wanted $220 dollars for the wires to be replaced into the fuse box with a new pair heavier set of wires directly to a new 30 A man fuse away from the fuse box. they got the price down to $170 dollars as I explained I was very low on funds .

As I left the dealer for triumph the bike missed and hesitated in the shop driveway , I thought to myself I would have to replace my spark plugs soon and rode off 20miles to home on the highway . as I parked in my garage I immediately noticed a strong fuel smell and thought they may have left a breather off the tank as they told me they had looked under the tank for a short in the main wire harness .....

I left the bike sit for about 30 days and was looking for employment , I got a job and started the bike on a Saturday as I was due at training on the next Monday . - the Rocket blew black clouds of smoke and was very poor idle and very rough . I assumed it was a fouled plug or two .

I ran the bike to warm and took it for a hard ride hoping to clear said plugs. it sort of worked but idle was bad and the bike would stall a bit after running . fuel consumption doubled - now only getting 70 miles to a tank . there were no codes in the bike or MIL indicator .just the rough running and Raw Fuel smell and black smoke .

I persevered with the bike for the duration of my training and first weeks of shifts and then took bike back to the dealer for plugs .

they told me they had spent over 12 hours on the bike changing, all coils, plugs ,primary TPS and loading different tunes into ECU and couldn't get it right and that they had tested the ECU with one from a new bike and it was running fine . I would now need an ECU and all the labour now spent . some $2150 in total

The bike has now only done 600miles since the wiring job and has just spent a month in the shop awaiting an ECU from England.

I know bike was fine before it went in (apart form main fuse wire ), and was broken when it left( now needed an ECU replacing )

Im asking what could have happened in the shop , ( I read somewhere there is an ECU fault if bike is running and a certain wire is removed it can spike the ECU, effectively killing it making it overfuel ? ).

I will pay the bill but plan on talking to their boss as im not happy at all.

thanks in advance for any help you can shed on the situation !

Last edited:
welcome from poland.
i am new rocket owner and cannot help but for sure you will find out experienced guys here and they will try to support and solve your problem.

welcome from arizona[/QUO
Using a heavier gauge wire could just be masking a problem that you have, it is not normal for that to happen I would suggest a wee bit more digging before replacing.
the triumph dealers told me it was a common problem on the main fuse and he had replaced plenty like this before . He also said it could have
Using a heavier gauge wire could just be masking a problem that you have, it is not normal for that to happen I would suggest a wee bit more digging before replacing.
that job was allready done and then the ECU problem appeared immediately . And now 1000 Klm later they tell me that without the ECU the bike won’t run properly . I also had a second hand ECU from another rocket sent from parts wrecker . They told me this too was no good . They called Yesterday and said bike was ready and running fine with new ECU .

One of my Rockets had a problem similar to yours about six months ago, we tried changing parts from another rocket with no luck, took the bike to my local MC shop and they diagnosed a faulty Mass Air Sensor(MAP) only cost about $30 and that cured my problem, funny thing is we had swapped that out from another bike with no luck but the new one cured it.

Welcome! Hopefully this gets figured out to your satisfaction... It's tough when relying on others when you have to "trust" but can't always "verify"... I've had great experiences.... AND have been taken to the cleaners...
-MIG

MAP sensor hoses on wrong, leaking is my bet.
Well I did look at the bike under the tank before taking it to them for plugs and the maf on the intake Pipe was loose as in I Could move it in and out quite easily at least 8 mm .....

Back