Ty_Gerhardt

Standard Bore
Ride
2018 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
My 2018 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster, when shifting from 2nd gear to first gear, makes a weird whirring sound followed by a clacking/clunking sound and some slight jerkiness as it slows to a stop. I took it to the dealer shop for it's 10k maintenance and I asked them to test ride it so they can see what it's doing. They did the maintenance and said they two techs test ride it and only one of them noticed "a little noise" but it wasn't unusual and it was nothing to worry about.

I noticed it almost immediately on my ride home and it continues to behave that way. I've noticed this sound every once in a while prior to a few weeks ago but not with the clacking/clunking happening as it slowed down. Now it happens every time I ride it...but there's no way they didn't notice this in a test ride. I wanted to see if any of you have experienced this before I call the shop back and ask them to take another look at it. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. :)

ummmm what sort of speed to do you drop it into into first gear?
Have you tried just coasting to a stop with the clutch pulled in to see if the noise is still there?

Not that its right or wrong but I normally when slowing down to a stop get back to 2nd gear the flick it into netural (as its easier to find) when just about stopped and pull up on the brakes

When I downshift from 2nd to 1st, I don't hear any weird noises. In fact I regularly downshift through almost all the gears when coming to a stop relying on engine braking a lot with nothing unusual other than the typical engine noises. The only time I hear any kind of clacking/clunking is when I'm riding very slow in 1st or 2nd. It's always done this. The noise comes from the torsional damper doing it's thing just ahead of the driveshaft. This is normal. Where is the noise coming from, front or back of bike?

On my my '14 R3T (since new), downshifting into first is the "clunkiest" gear and she would do as you describe above if I didn't have the engine RPM's just right. I almost never downshift into first until I've come almost to a complete stop. The way she's geared (takes off great in second gear at a slow coasting if needed) and with the power she puts out, I don't engine brake with first gear. Your riding style may be different, but this is my experience. Other bikes I have used first gear for engine braking, but they didn't have the power or set-up of the R3.
...and WELCOME! to our R3 Family :thumbsup: :cool:
-MIG

ummmm what sort of speed to do you drop it into into first gear?
Have you tried just coasting to a stop with the clutch pulled in to see if the noise is still there?

Not that its right or wrong but I normally when slowing down to a stop get back to 2nd gear the flick it into netural (as its easier to find) when just about stopped and pull up on the brakes
Usually 15-20 MPH. :)

On my my '14 R3T (since new), downshifting into first is the "clunkiest" gear and she would do as you describe above if I didn't have the engine RPM's just right. I almost never downshift into first until I've come almost to a complete stop. The way she's geared (takes off great in second gear at a slow coasting if needed) and with the power she puts out, I don't engine brake with first gear. Your riding style may be different, but this is my experience. Other bikes I have used first gear for engine braking, but they didn't have the power or set-up of the R3.
...and WELCOME! to our R3 Family :thumbsup: :cool:
-MIG
I agree with MIG. I use engine braking on all my bikes and manual trucks and cars. Rarely do I downshift to first on any of them.

Welcome from South Australia

Thanks. :)

When I downshift from 2nd to 1st, I don't hear any weird noises. In fact I regularly downshift through almost all the gears when coming to a stop relying on engine braking a lot with nothing unusual other than the typical engine noises. The only time I hear any kind of clacking/clunking is when I'm riding very slow in 1st or 2nd. It's always done this. The noise comes from the torsional damper doing it's thing just ahead of the driveshaft. This is normal. Where is the noise coming from, front or back of bike?
On the left near the front it sounds/feels like it's close to my left foot when I am riding.

Hello @Ty_Gerhardt and welcome from Virginia.

With that low of mileage, I would not expect anything to be broken. But it still could be. How long have you had this bike? My 2014 R3T has 89K miles so far and no noises like you describe.

Back