Hi from NYC (copy of post in TriumphRat.net)

JoshNYC

.020 Over
Ride
Triumph 2010 RIII R
RIII Fulfilling the dream!

Hey All, (Booq just mentioned that I haven't introduced myself properly on this forum so here we go:)

I've been lurking in this forum for years. Saw my first Rocket in Southern Italy in 2006 and when I saw it I fell in love. I remember doing a double take and saying Holy S%@! WTH is that. With the image of the RIII thoroughly burned into my head, when I got back to the USA, I decided to finally get a Moto license with the dream and desire of finally owning one. I remember seeing it and thinking thats the bike Arnold should have been riding in T2.

The first bike I bought was a Triumph Speedmaster as I thought buying a RIII as a first bike in New York City wouldn't be the wisest idea. Jump FWD to the present and my SM has gotten knocked down a number of times while the bike was parked on the street. Good thing it wasn't a new Rocket III but an older SM.

Fast forward a bit more and I started looking for a used RIII on Ebay etc and to get a feeling for the market on the East Coast. I also contacted several dealerships, none of them allow for test rides. So they certainly aren't going to get my hard earned $$$ for an RIII. I just got back from a trip to England. I had several friends that told me I should come over there and they were sure they could get me test riding a few bikes so that I could make an educated decision. I road a Kawasaki Ninja, Triumph Street Triple and my original crush the RIII.

The Ninja was like riding a whiny toy IMO. The street Triple was far better and I may buy one for my wife (she needs to be able to keep up!). The RIII Roadster was everything I imagined. It was quite cool having my "date" with my first crush (RIII) for the first time in England(the first time I have been there.) My friends took out a few bikes as well: Ducati Diavolo, Ducati Monster, 1000CC Suzuki GSX, Triumph Daytona 675. While I was on the RIII I effortlessly kept up (although riding on the opposite side of the rode was certainly a bit of a challenge so I and they weren't riding too aggressively. I had the jokers grin seared into my face for the rest of the day!

Last fall I found a great deal near Chicago on Ebay. So I flew out there bought a 2010 RIII and rode her back to NYC. She, "Athena", is the bike for me however I could see me in a few years doing a Carpenter upgrade on her.

Cheers!

G'day from down under @JoshNYC. If you've been lurking around here for years you'll know this community is chock 'o block full of like-minded Rocket enthusiasts. Congratulations on coming out, and welcome to the family.

Welcome, Josh, from Texas. We think the Carpenter Silver Back thing is for those who feel that if too much is not enough, then a bunch more on top of that should be just about right.

We trudge on.

Hello Again Josh and thanks for the good history lesson. I will be in NYC for the 911 America's ride on Aug 16th. I can only stay that one night as work has me on the road again Monday morning. I will be with my Pretty Pillion and a local friend. We will be staying at Crowne Plaza Times Square. If you're around, maybe they will still have beer in the bar...

Back