Helping a Friend with his first bike

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
I am helping a buddy find a good first bike. I found a 2005 Daytona 650, 34k miles, needs tires/radiator fan. I'll be inspecting and test riding for him on Sunday since he doesn't have his license yet.

I think its a fantastic 1st bike in comparison to the Jap 600s. Softer suspension, longer reach to bars, better leg position, and a good chunk more torque, closer to the D 675 power band than the typical 600 4 cylinder bikes.

Aside from the "No one should start on a 600 Supersport they are too high strung" objection, anyone know of any reason to run far and fast from a Daytona 650?

Turned my young nephew onto the same motor just last summer.
He LOVES it!
Me thinks it's good advice from you to your friend.

Sounds good. Once he's bitten by the bug of "more power" I'll sell him my 955 lol.

Dude has 550whp 2013 5.0 Mustang, so he likes speed.

As long as your buddy respects the capabilities of the bike, I think it will be fine. My son's first bike was (still is) a 675 Street Triple. No experience, no license, etc. I taught him the basics and warned him of what the bike could do. He practiced around my neighborhood and also took the safety course. Now he's a great rider, never laid it down, and the bike is plenty fast.

Aye, I doubt he'll have issues restraining himself, knowing him. I started on my Daytona 955i, and the first cruiser I ever rode was my Rocket on the test drive haha.

I have a different opinion than most about starting bikes.

Personally I find the start on a 250/300/500 argument somewhat invalid. For myself, and I suspect for many riders who start later in life, throttle control isn't an issue. As military we are forced to take formal training before we are allowed to ride, so the basics are taught correctly.

Honestly, yes, on day one I did out and pin the throttle in 2nd gear on the Daytona all the way to redlin when I got to a wide open road. The sheer mind distorting terror gave me incredible respect for the right hand on the bike, that respect made **** sure I only used full power when I knew it was safe, and I will always have that ginger right have on a Liter bike, you kinda of have to lol.

My biggest challenge learning to ride was putting trust in the tires to hold when cranking the bike way over. Once I learned to do that it was game on. Body english, high corner entry speeds, threshold braking, hovering the rear tire while backing in, stoppies and wheelies are all skills that take time to develop and they take time whether you are on a 250 or 2300.

stoppies on a Rocket! pics please:) for me it was trusting the bike to slide around turns once traction broke. A thrill on my mountain bike, huge adrenalin rush on my s3 and something I avoid at all costs on the Beast.

Back