coneye

.060 Over
Ride
rt3 , lowrider , xjr1300 650 v stromn
Do i have big major problems , what do you think ,, little bit of background , I have a 2008 rt3 , Tourer not classic the hard bags and everything ,, 62 500 klm's . Just put the bike in last week and had a service on the forks done , while there i told them to service the bike , Anyway bike come back running fine done about 250 klm's all good ,, Today went on a bigger trip ,, i was sat on 100 klm ph went to overtake a truck , so i dropped it down to 4th gear and nothing just reving out ,,, Back in to 5th , slowed down it went into 4th , changed back up all right ,, when i stopped problem getting neutral , , End result i'm 250 klm from home came home the back roads to miss the traffic and lights , it seems the gears are all over the place ,, slow down to first take off , can't find second , give it a couple hard shifts it finds it ,, slowing down i think 4th gear has gone if i'm going along go into 4th nothing there , happenned in 3rd has well ,, then next turn , it goes up the gears ok , its all over the place ..The clutch cable seems to have got very light has well ,,,

But definetly seems like theres no 4th gear , ,, Now the work shop i took it to told me that they adjusted the clutch cable they said it was wrong to much play at the top not enough at the bottom or something but they reckon they sorted it , pretty proud of themselves has well they were , I tried adjusting it at the top but screwd right i or let off it does'nt seem to make a difference ,,

Basicly do you think i could be lucky , and its the cable , or maybee the oil they put in , i don't know what they put in but its symphetic ,,, or have i got the dreaded transmision problem ,, I'll take it in for them to check the adjustment on the cable , but realisticly i don't know much about mechanics but i'm thinking gearbox ,, whats your thoughts .

Just my luck i was going to trade the bike on a new one this week . They offered me peanuts before they won't even want it now .

It's stuffed Paul. I offered to take it off your hands once before and you declined. Serves ya right.

Give ya fifty bucks for it, problems and all.....................

I'm in South Aust ,, and the weather is ****e , It just does'nt stop raining .. Ruzzle i'll let you have my old original exhaust for 50 bucks ,, but the bike sorry ,, Your getting on a bit now you might drop it LOL

I actually just went and seen the mechanic who serviced it , i asked what oil he used it was some brand can'rt remember what he said , but he said its a top brand used in the states ,,, Jeez who's getting old now Ruzzle i only left him an hour ago and forgot all ready . Better than motul or belray he said ..

I explained what was happening and was hoping for it to be the clutch adjustment , because it seemed to be very easy to pull in , he said it will not affect changing gears or jumping out of gear ,,, anyway he agreed it could be the detent spring , but i'll take it in anyyway ,and let him have a look , I'm hoping its something simple but not holding my breath ,

What i can't help but wonder is why now after he told me the cables were adjusted wrong so he fixed them up , and the first long journey this happens it could be coincidence , but i did ask him what free play he left in it and he said they should be , 6 mm , when i said most say 2-3mm , he said internet mechanics don't know , the cables get hot and lose play he said .. I don't know i'm not mechanicly minded so i can't argue .

What do you think coincidence and bad luck ,, or a result of cables not adjusted properly ,,

I'm in South Aust ,, and the weather is ****e , It just does'nt stop raining .. Ruzzle i'll let you have my old original exhaust for 50 bucks ,, but the bike sorry ,, Your getting on a bit now you might drop it LOL

I actually just went and seen the mechanic who serviced it , i asked what oil he used it was some brand can'rt remember what he said , but he said its a top brand used in the states ,,, Jeez who's getting old now Ruzzle i only left him an hour ago and forgot all ready . Better than motul or belray he said ..

I explained what was happening and was hoping for it to be the clutch adjustment , because it seemed to be very easy to pull in , he said it will not affect changing gears or jumping out of gear ,,, anyway he agreed it could be the detent spring , but i'll take it in anyyway ,and let him have a look , I'm hoping its something simple but not holding my breath ,

What i can't help but wonder is why now after he told me the cables were adjusted wrong so he fixed them up , and the first long journey this happens it could be coincidence , but i did ask him what free play he left in it and he said they should be , 6 mm , when i said most say 2-3mm , he said internet mechanics don't know , the cables get hot and lose play he said .. I don't know i'm not mechanicly minded so i can't argue .

What do you think coincidence and bad luck ,, or a result of cables not adjusted properly ,,

Run far, Run fast, NEVER see that mechanic again. He's not even making up good lies, he's just pulling **** out of his ass. I 100% guarantee he hasn't even opened the FSM to read anything, or he'd know the correct play.

He knows **** all about Rockets, it doesn't matter what his background or training are, he doesn't know what he's talking about, period.

The cables don't "get hot and lose play", 6mm is too much, and "I dont know, its the top brand in USA" translates to "I threw in whatever **** oil was laying around the shop". NO mechanic would not know what oil they just put into a bike. If he can't even remember the brand, are you SURE its actually motorcycle oil and not car oil?!

It does sound like a detent though, and this "mechanic" has no idea the level of expertise available on this particular forum, on a Honda forum yeah I'm sure there is some questionable advice, but here, the guys giving advice are generally the guys who have personally ripped into the motor/tranny/etc and are speaking 1st hand on fixes.

The triumph rocket manual says 2-3 mm play in clutch lever, this mech hasn't got scooby doo.

6 mm free play... might be why the lever feels light lol

You can also check the free play by pulling the sheath back from where it joins into the clutch lever housing

LOL Claviqer,,, In fairness to the guy , he did know the name of the oil its me who forgot by the time, i got home LOL I had a Russel moment getting all ancient and all that LOL did'nt mean it Russel .

,, The guy does have a good name and seems to know bikes , prices are fair , , But i think he is mainly racing and suspension , i took the bike originaly because i had the front forks serviced 12 months ago , and with owning 2 other bikes , work , loss of liscence for a while (bad boy ) I hav'nt rode the rocket , but a couple of weeks ago after 2 consecutive rides i relized it was'nt right , took it to this fella asked him to do it again and what he found was eneven oil in both forks ,, different color oil in each fork one black , one grey and different viscocity ,, he actually filmed it on his phone to show me , he fixed it and the suspension feels like new again .

But i do think that Rockets are a specelist thing , its just hard to find good mechanics , i don't trust the local triumph dealer had a couple of bad experiences there ,

So Mike if you can get me that number be appreciated ,,

News alert ,,, I just had a phone call from a mate who had a ride of my rocket and tells me he had trouble finding 4th gear that was the day before i took it in , so it probably was on its way out , just have to find out what it is now

Back