Help with Stebel wiring please!

laraza

Turbocharged
Ride
09 R3 Classic
I am about to fit the Stebel nautilus horn to my R3T and realise that I don't really know what to do in terms of wiring it up!:confused:

I want to put the horn behind the left cover and have found threads on that but how exactly do I wire it? I have cable, inline 20a fuse and the relay but the instructions that came with the horn make no sense to me. Any help (esp with pics) would be really welcome. Thanks

Let me see if I can help....

Firstly, you are essentially going to wire two circuits: (1) the power-and ground circuit that's going to power the horn when the button is pushed, and (2) the power and ground circuit that's going to energize the relay.

If you look carefully at the relay pins you will see that they are numbered.

85-86 power the relay.(2)
30-87 power the horn circuit(1)

Circuit #2
You have to disconnect the wires plugged into the existing horn and feed them back to where the relay is going to mounted. You will need to connect those wires to pins (85-86).

Before you go any further, test the circuit by switching the key on and pushing the horn button and listening the 'clicking'... that's the relay opening and closing.

Circuit #1

GROUND
Next, will need to connect a wire to the black terminal on your battery. Connect that wire to ground wire on the horn.

POWER
Then, connect another wire to the red terminal on your battery, and connect it to the #30 pin on the relay.

Then connect a wire from the pin 87 on the, and connect it the other pin on the horn.
------------------

You should be good at this point. Your existing horn circuit (#2) is energizing the relay when the horn button is being pushed. And, you are getting power through the relay (#1) when the relay is energized.

If you are a 'picture-person', then go here Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT), Single Pole Single Throw (SPST) Automotive Relays

Note: Go outside to test the horn.

Is this a great place or what?!?

I'm thinking of performing brain surgery on my wife's cat. Anybody got a diagram???

Is this a great place or what?!?

I'm thinking of performing brain surgery on my wife's cat. Anybody got a diagram???

I can help you with that......... I just can't wire up a horn:eek:

Thanks for the help guys, feel a bit more confident about it now!

If memory serves me well, there is a single conductor(wire) to the factory horn and then a set of parallel wires and the negative/ground is the single wire and that is broken or switched through the horn button/switch while the two "hot" wires are a constant hot to the horn. Disconnect the battery terminals to reduce the risk of a short while routing the two hots back or tape it up really well.

If you are unsure, borrow a meter and test the wires before starting. If you are mounting it to the airbox under the left side cover, connect your wires to the Stebel before mounting it to the hole you drill in the plastic unless you are able to stand on your head and work:eek:.

Others please respond,please.

Finding a "hot" wire under the left cover can be a treat. A hot wire to energize the system is not the same as the hot wire from the battery to actually supply the 135 Dbz ear shattering blast amperage. Im not right there looking at my arrangement but I vaguely recall a brown wire connection. Tie in along side this wire. The diagram for disconnecting this and that and connecting this and that are pretty straight forward, as supplied here and elsewhere. Its that switchable energizer wire that is the trick. A sharp probe on your volt meter is needed. The solenoid does the routing from the battery once energized correctly.

Incidentally, someone awhile back separated the two sections of the stebel and posted the loud mouth outside the left side cover. Apparently the bellows (air supply) needs the vertical positioning while the horn may be placed elsewhere with greater impact while still maintaining a low profile. I heard of this and my tonge got hard...sorry ladies:eek:

With the Stebel in place the OEM horn is no more than added weight:D There are no dangling participles. Reroute the two lines from the OEM horn to the appropriate Stebel connections, per the instruction from Stebel. Route an aux line from the solenoid to a energizer supply, yet to be identified correctly. A positive line from the battery is needed and possibly a ground, though Ive lost my schematic and possibly you as well. It is that energizer line that is the key. Its not Rocket science:D

BTW, the "Stebel" horn may have several other labels. Outside of adding a humongous single or pair of air horns this is a bad-boy wake up horn.

Fitted it yesterday and boy is it LOUD!!!!

My thanks to everyone for their help, sure made the job a lot easier for a ham fisted home 'spannerer' like me!

Nautilus mounting to stock location !

I am about to fit the Stebel nautilus horn to my R3T and realise that I don't really know what to do in terms of wiring it up!:confused:

I want to put the horn behind the left cover and have found threads on that but how exactly do I wire it? I have cable, inline 20a fuse and the relay but the instructions that came with the horn make no sense to me. Any help (esp with pics) would be really welcome. Thanks

I mounted this ame horn right to the same mounting holes as the stock horn. I had to modify the alum. bracket on the horn, but it was no more than drilling out the mounting hole to accept the larger bolt. That made the installation much easier. I mounted the relay up under tank and it actually fit right into one of the stock relay holders. If I get time I will write the installation instructions with some pics if anyone is interested.

The Nautilus is a "pee-your-pants-spill-coffee-in-your- ******" horn. It is the loudest automotive horn I've ever heard. Good luck with your install. :cool:

Back