Help...tune needed...

Discussion in 'Rocket III Roadster' started by Thedogsbollocks, May 17, 2018.

1. Thedogsbollocks

Thedogsbollocks Turbocharged

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    Rocket Roadster 2018
    hi ,
    I have piggybacked onto other posts about DP exhaust but with no success. I’ve reached out to HansO but not heard back after several tries.

I boughtDP exhaust and fitted to brand new Roadster. I wish I had never heard of DP exhaust...so far ruined my ride.
    Where I am now is this...
    DP outlaws
    H&N air box eliminated
    New PCV ( no auto tune)

NOTE H&N and PCV not installed yet...waiting I hope for map. Other wise DPs going in trash , I’m at my wits end

Bike has gone from great to complete crap! I’ve been to Triumph and everything good as far as they check.
    Issues is exhaust ( no back pressure)

So please anyone out there have a map for the PCV that matches this configuration.

( not doing tune ecu as I’ve forked out on PCV and living where I live no Dyno available)

Thanks!!!!!

Failing this I’m junking this DP POS. ( this is my 4th Rocket...I’ve had various mods on all of them. Nothing F—Kd my ride up more than these DP outlaws.This Guys sales pitch is ...’12 min tune and everything will be OK’...complete bollocks! My advice...don’t buy them.)

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  2. TURBO200R4

TURBO200R4 stand up straight and grab the world by the a$$

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    07 rocket III classic
    i guess first thing would be to post the year and model of your bike.
    i can not see pipes/mufflers screwing up the running. just maybe a little lean or rich.
    if u can give us info how it is running some one might be able to help u out
    i am in the same boat as u. i have a pcv and when i looked at their website all they had was a stock tune for mine.
    some have said that a roaster tune would fit mine.

i would like to know if the tunecu maps would work in the pcv? also is there a good site to download pcv tunes other than the pcv web?

3. TURBO200R4

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    07 rocket III classic
    well it dawned on me u r posting on the rocket III roadsters thread u should be able to find several maps for yours.

4. Thedogsbollocks

Thedogsbollocks Turbocharged

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Media:
    Ride:
    Rocket Roadster 2018
    63C4CF34-563C-418F-BCA7-4D1A424FB881.jpeg 5A872D51-2DBE-46FC-AAAA-E59DEBDE9DB8.jpeg
    Thanks... It’s a 2018 ( bought new a couple month ago). It’s a Roadster. The dealer tech ( good guy) says he’s got it as near as he can without either putting back the oem cross pipe to increase back pressure a little or a PCV .
    I’m not technical but the openness of these pipes ( lack of back pressure) is causing somthing or other to not close slightly ( or something like that).

The symptoms are excessive popping on decel ( only happens when throttle closed no back firing...but it’s way too much). I appreciate short exhaust always prone to pops etc but nothing like this. On pick up a low speed there is a slight hesitation, not too noticeable but it’s there. Overall the bikes performance on ‘drive is ok...no undue cause to think anything is amis except...it’s not as quick as it was with the standard pipes.

The tech phoned a central tech support here in a USA. Guy at other end said he was not supposed to say this but said the only cure was a) replace stock cross pipe to add the little resistance necessary B) Go PCV route and I think he said eliminate the O2 sensor? ( no clue how to do that yet)

Anyway I’m into this a grand already with the pipes so thought I might as well buy PCV and at same time H&N air box eliminator.
    I have not installed the PCV or air yet. I don’t think the PCV came with an 02 censor eliminator.( I need to check I just glanced in the box)
    So , I’m reaching out as I know s lot of Guys here have DPs and must have overcome this however I’m struggling.

This is my 4th Rocket and I’ve had performance exhausts before and never had the issues I’m having with these DPs.( Clot says all ya need is 12 min tune...this is nonsense)

So I think next step is find a map to load into the PCV that matches TR3 / DP outlaws/ Air box eliminated.
    The map the dealer installed did in fairness get me a lot closer than before and he worked hard to fix this for me. The map he loaded on the bike is 020776 ( this is the number he gave. I believe it’s thier replacement TORS MAP).

Failing finding a map and this might be the easiest route to go is to just replace the DP cross pipe with the stock cross pipe. The two techs ( one at dealer and the one on phone both looking at my bikes data on a screen) said this would cure the issues of popping and the “thingamajig” that not quite closing due to lack of back pressure and causing the slight hesitation at low speed pick up ( acceleration from low speed) ...they were very confident that by introducing that extra back pressure would do this and make everything be as it should. ( but I just bought the bloody exhaust for $1000 and seems a shame to compromise so decided to throw more good money after bad and get PCV and air)

Thanks for trying to help!

You’ll laugh...(I’m a Brit) I went to a couple of Dyno shops here where I live. I enquirerd about a Dyno for the bike. This is die hard Harley country! When I mentioned Triumph it was like the stranger walking into the saloon with six guns strapped to his sides...I could not have unimpressed them more without shouting ‘Hilary for President ‘ ... they clearly had no experience with a European bike nor did show the slightest interest in helping as a result.

At this rate , I’m almost at the point of giving up and ripping the lot off and going back to stock and enjoying my beautiful Triumph again...
    Any help would be much appreciated...cheers!

Last edited: May 17, 2018
  5. Paul Bryant

Paul Bryant Living Legend

New Zealand
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    2006 Rocket
    As you have read in the DP thread that these short units seam to have a problem sucking in cold air, so O.K. you have the Power Commander, but that is of no use, or of no advantage if you don't have the Auto Tune, AT200, to go with it.
    Others will advise better than me, but my thinking is that the Auto Tune will address your issues.
    Ulf Penner has explained well what was going on with Allans bike, this would be a good guide as to what you need to do yourself.

There is an answer.

TURBO200R4 likes this.
  6. TURBO200R4

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    07 rocket III classic
    i will try to explain it this way.
    my 07 classic has tors (triumph off road) mufflers now the mufflers are a little bigger so when i back off it rumbles (because muffs r bigger it sucks air back into the system)and when it gets down to about 1500 rpm then it starts to bang and gets pretty loud when the pipes get good and hot. i kind of like it but when i don't i just pull in the clutch and coast till i shift down.
    now a lot of the maps dump more gas into it to cure the popping but i would not like this so i have stuck with what i think is the tors map altered with my tunecu.
    if i were u i would enjoy the noise and not worry about it.. i have thought that if u put like a big washer on the end of the pipe that would work like stock until high rpm the blow open like the big diesel trucks maybe u would have the best of both worlds.
    now the lack of power may be your map u chose or some other prob i do not think that it is your exhaust system.
    there is nothing in there that closes off what happens is the bigger pipes looses the scavenging effect
    for test purpose u might try closing down the muffs with like a home made bushing.
    some have said that they get a flat spot and there r others that r much better that me.
    on my pcv it has an o2 optimizer so u can unplug the O2 sensor and plug in the O2 optimizer. i think that it has resisters that send a constant signal to the computer. i am not real certain about using this. have not made up my mind.
    the # on my pcv is 21-003 what is yours.
    if i have made a mistake i am sure some one will be along to set u right.:laugh:

7. TURBO200R4

United States
    Featured Threads:
    Ride:
    07 rocket III classic

i am with u on the cold air:thumbsup:
    do u think that to big of a muffler system would cause a flat spot while accelerating?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice