HELP - Tail of the Dragon ate my brakes

technoguppy

Supercharged
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 GT
I wish I was kidding about the subject line.

I am in Kingsport, Tennessee about 2000km from home and my rear brakes are gone!

I need two things from my fellow Captains...

1 - I need to know someone who can fix my bike in the area (preferably open Monday)

2 - I need a recommendation for rear brake pads.

I am going to try the Powerhouse Honda in Johnson City, TN otherwise.

Side note: Can I do it myself if I'm in a pinch?
Side side note: Had a look, not likely to fix this in the hotel parking lot. Will have to wait until Monday at a proper service centre

Thanks in advance,

Well....

After checking the map, there is a TRIUMPH Dealer in the city where I am staying. Bad news is that they aren't open until Tuesday. Oh well, I will enjoy Kingsport, Tennessee a little while longer! My luck isn't all bad!!!

I wish I was kidding about the subject line.

I am in Kingsport, Tennessee about 2000km from home and my rear brakes are gone!

I need two things from my fellow Captains...

1 - I need to know someone who can fix my bike in the area (preferably open Monday)

2 - I need a recommendation for rear brake pads.

I am going to try the Powerhouse Honda in Johnson City, TN otherwise.

Side note: Can I do it myself if I'm in a pinch?
Side side note: Had a look, not likely to fix this in the hotel parking lot. Will have to wait until Monday at a proper service centre

Thanks in advance,

You found Myers in Ashville?

Sorry, their not open on Mondays either.
Brakes should be on a list for anyone planning a ride in that area. I brought extra last May and a buddy needed them. I needed a front tire. Went to Myers and got another Metz it was all they had :mad:

Changing the rear brakes is super easy and you just need a large flathead screwdriver.

Once you have the new pads, look at the brake setup. On top and near towards the rear of the bike you will see the tops to a spring clip on each pad. You can use the screwdriver to lift each clip out.

You can then slide the pin out.

The brake pads can be lift out. You may have to push up from the underside just a bit to get them started.

Next (this is the part you do because you are in a pinch), you can use the large screwdriver to push the brake piston back into the caliper. It will resist at first but then it will move. Once you have the piston back, you can proceed with installing the new pads.

Just reverse your steps above.

Took me longer to type this than it did to change the pads a few weekes ago.

I find it much safer to use only the front brakes. If your fronts are good, just ride on, and R&R the rears when you get home.

Rear brakes can be replace with no tools, the "R" pins come out of the slide pins and the slide pins slip right out with fingers. The only need for any kind of tool is to compress the pistons back into the calipers prior to inserting the new pads, and this is easy to do. Any flat blade screw driver is enough to pry the pistons slowly back into the calipers. I recommend for your first time you replace one pad at a time so that you can see when it's seated properly according to the other.
As long as there had been no major scaring of the rotor you can just replace the pads with no additional work.

Pads should be readily available at any Triumph dealer since they are shared with a few other models. If you have to mail order them, Flip has them too.

I watched tdragger change a fellow Captain's rear in a matter of minutes as the Holiday Motel parking lot with nothing more than a flat head. Ive gone through much much more efforts as a result of my ignorance. Im talkin less than 5 minutes with beer in hand:D

As for where to get a second set before you go on your next dragon run, Flipmeisters will do you right. PS: Engine braking and lots of 2nd gear use is my way of doing the Dragon.

those same brake pads are used on some of Honda's motorcycles too. Comes in handy if there isn't a Triumph shop near by. Honda sells then for a lot cheaper too.

The rear brakes is one of the most simple jobs to do on a Rocket, I might be wrong but is the Honda VTX line not the same pads? Always carry spare pads with you the Dragon will eat them up:D
Here is a quick list of bikes that share the same brake pads:
01 and newer Honda Goldwing 1800/1800A
02 and newer Honda VTX 1800 C/1800 R
09 Ducati GT1000
08 Moto Guzzi Griso 1100
08 BMW G650 Xcountry
07 Victory Kingpin

Back