Help regarding forks

coneye

.060 Over
Ride
rt3 , lowrider , xjr1300 650 v stromn
I took my bike to have the fork oil changed today , Rocket tourer . Anyway there was nothing wrong with it , just the time frame was up , and i want to keep on top of the bike .

Anyway coming out of his drive , it bottomed out , riding the 3 klm home it was hotrrible its like the front was on a pogo stick , so much so that even my pot belly was wobbling up and down , , i turned into my drive and bang it bottomed out again just going up the little curb from road to driveway .

I rang him he came back with some excuse about there being air in the system , he came round and took the top screw things off and tried pushing the forks up and down ..

When i asked what oil he put in he said motul 1o weight , he reckons he rang Triumph and they said motul is the choice oil and they use 7.5 , but 10 wil be better , , it did'nt work , and putting the brake on and pushing the bike up and down , theres a real clunk , i had done this before he came round and there was no clunk , but i will say i did'nt rock it has hard has he did ,

Anyway , i rode it back to his house for him to , give it a look over tomoro and see whats going on , but going off my drive it still felt like it had dropped into a 2 foot pothole , same going into his driveway , . It did'nt seem has bad with the po going .and on the way back i could'nt hear any clunking so i figure that might be the brake calipers clunking .

Now what has raised my eybrows a bit is reading on here has far has i can tell , its supposed to be 0 oil . i've also read that 667 mm of oil per fork , so based on that the oil is too thick , and what concerned me is , he brought the oil with him , and while he was trying to bleed the forks , pushing them up and down , he topped up one fork .

Since he done that i've read 667mm to fill an empty fork , but he still had some left in his , 1 litre bottle

667 mm times 2 = 1litre 300mm so if it was the same bottle its obvious theres not enough oil .Plus i'm a quick learner and if theres supposed to be a set amount , that would indicate , you cannot top it up unless measured somehow .

So does anyone know the excact amount needed , , and the thickness needed , , if it is too thick would that cause the bottoming out . . ..

I'm mechanicly illiterate , but i'm suss on this guy now , he reckons he's worked on rockets before , but i'm now doubting it very much , Any invo you can give will be appreciated , i would like to be armed with the right questions and answers , .

Giot a feeling the end result will be me demanding a refund and taking it elswhere .

Where to start?
i have an 07 classic i can only assume the the forks are the same. but a lot of this info will be the same
first of all the amount of fluid the 667cc quanity is what they put in the fork with the springs removed then they use a tool to remove a certain amount out so there fore the correct amount IS NOT 667CC
I think that 1cc is equal to 1ml.
The book calls for 5w and i think that at least one person has use 7.5w to make for a firmer ride.
when i done my front forks i captured the oil out of one of the fork and measured it. i might have that amount in my paper work. but i do have the 1 litre bottle of 5w oil ther is 750 ml left in the bottle so i am pretty sure that i used 125 ml for each fork.
i am think that you may have the forks hydraulic locked?
just a personal opinion you should have some mechanic remove the wheel and axle and drain the forks. it probably will take an impac to remove the bolts because i think that if you use a ratchet the insides will turn.
also with the forks full of oil you might blow the seals out when you hit a bump.
if some one can confirm that the classic and the tourer are the same you should be able to use i25 ml as a good measurement. hth

It ain't the grade of oil, Paul..... I'm running 10/15 in mine, with Progressive springs. Feels good.

BUT - the method of filling is CRITICAL.... refer shop manual, and as per comments above. The specified 667cc is NOT the final amount of oil in there. Needs to be done right.

Cheers.......

Thanks for that , He said he removed the forks , so i am assuming he poured ALL the oil out hence why i said it needs 667 , , now i know that he did do something because when i went to take it back to him , i went to release the quick releas sporty screen and could'nt it was stuck , he then said , Oh i did'nt know it was quick release i removed the bobbins on one side , and when he put them back he put them back and locked the release mechanism .

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and if is not fixed by miday i'll demand my money back .

You are more tolerant than me, I would have grabed him by his throat by now and had the bike towed to the closet dealer. Good luck!!

I'm getting older ,, Times gone by i would of done done more than grab his throat i would or wrung it has well . But i've got to give him the benefit of the doubt and the opportunity to fix it , hoepfully he manages to get to the bottom of it and fix it , he's changing the oil back to 5 weight from 10 , i'll keep my cool , and give him a chance ,

If that don't work i'll politly ask him to refund my money , and take it to a dealer .. If he does'nt want to give it back ,, Then i'll get me Mad up and grab him by the throat .. Now wheres me spinach ha ha

Back