Help please, 08 R3T not starting

Bob R

Living Legend
Ride
2013 R3T
Friend's bike:

Backstory:

Cams were removed, valves adjusted, stock intake plumbing removed and RamAir Installed. Once put back together it will not start.

It has, good battery (car battery jumped in), fuel and spark. Occasional backfire while trying to start. Cam timing checked multiple times and is said to be right on. Valves good. It will turn over just fine it just won't fire. It has a Hanso tune in it that he made for me when I added a Ramair to my TORS. It ran fine in my bike until I was able to get dyno on the bike.

He has gone over everything multiple times, no vacuum leaks detected, all plugs plugged in, rechecked cam timing multiple times.

Any ideas?

bob

I know you say timing is spot on but it sounds a little like the cam chain could have jumped a tooth. If, as you say, that definitely can’t be the cause then I’ve got nothing. Sorry. You have fuel, spark and timing. Should run.
I assume you’re not giving it any throttle when starting.

Is one tooth off enough to cause this?

That's about all I have also, but was wanting to tap the hive to see what others thought.

bob

Did ya use the tool to hold the cams?
JIG,CAM TIMING,2294CC ENGINE T3880202

Take it back to basics:

Verify spark on all 6 high voltage leads.
Verify fuel is flowing.
Air... a given.
Compression, give it a test.

If you've got everything seemingly working, all verified, then it'll be the timing of when it's firing which coil, so check that they're wired correctly.
Check Crank position sensor, maybe swap with a known working one.
Swap ECU out with a known running bike and verify it doesn't start with the known good ECU.

I can't help but think it is cam related, that is the only thing that was really messed with.

Did ya use the tool to hold the cams?

He (Jesse) did not use the cam jig, but says he used a straight edge to measure everything at the reference mark on the cams (?). He has checked the cam timing multiple times and says it is right on. He has everything he needs to make fire. He has air, fuel and spark but it sure isn't starting. That is what makes me believe it may still be the cam timing. It turns over well. It is a conundrum.

bob

Seems to me that IF the timing was so far off it won't start, it would show up as low or no compression. Do a compression test. That is IF you have verified spark and fuel. Hope it/if ? isn't off so far as to have bent some valves:banghead:

Seems to me that IF the timing was so far off it won't start, it would show up as low or no compression. Do a compression test. That is IF you have verified spark and fuel. Hope it/if ? isn't off so far as to have bent some valves:banghead:

If the cam timing is off at all it is probably no more than one tooth which I don't believe would keep the bike from starting. I may take off early today and run over there and add a second set of hands and eyes to the problem.

bob

in the old days we would put a compression gauge on it and turn it over to see if the timing mark would show the same time the compression occurred. i do not know if u can do this on the rIII
on #1 u could see if compression occurred at the same time as #1 fired.

Back