help--my 06 rocket classic wont start

doncuddy

soberdude
Ride
2006 Triumph Rocket Classic
After a long ride--I inadvertantly left ignition switch on..key was off..sat for several hours. went out and wouldnt turn over at all..lights had dim glow--no instruments at all. pulled a boner and while hooking up cables from my truck--did it bass akwards..pos to neg..nothing...then checked fuses and found 30amp for battery blown...called dealer--said it was ok to charge til I replaced fuse. hooked up my slow charger and got a trouble light. took battery to autozone--said it was fully charged and not bad. got same light even after replacing fuse..all other fuses were good. I am at a loss..hoping I didnt torch something worse..can anyone tell me if there are other fuses to be checked? what else should be checked? really dont want to take it to the dealer--40 miles is closest...any ideas???hopefully a simple solution. don

Just check all the fuses. Get a new battery because if you had it hooked up backwards and you did not get a lot of sparks you toasted that baby. :D

How old is the battery? If it's been hot where you live and the battery is more than a few years old it's probably time to be replaced. Get a good one :)

-I inadvertantly left ignition switch on..key was off..sat for several hours.

Don't really understand what you're saying here - ignition switch on, but key OFF????
(was it in Park position maybe?)
What are you calling "ignition switch" - Key-Switch or Kill/Run switch? Latter does not matter if key was really 'Off'

went out and wouldnt turn over at all..lights had dim glow--no instruments at all.

So your battery was drained ......

pulled a boner and while hooking up cables from my truck--did it bass akwards..pos to neg..nothing...then checked fuses and found 30amp for battery blown...

called dealer--said it was ok to charge til I replaced fuse. hooked up my slow charger and got a trouble light. took battery to autozone--said it was fully charged and not bad. [/QUOTE]

I think Autozone talking rubbish - sounds like battery severely discharged, possibly irrecoverable at this point.

... hopefully a simple solution. ..

Get a new battery

How old is the battery? If it's been hot where you live and the battery is more than a few years old it's probably time to be replaced. Get a good one :)
battery is only a year old--but a very hot summer so far where we are...checked all the other main fuses and they were ok--are there other fuses besides the main box under the seat?

Don't really understand what you're saying here - ignition switch on, but key OFF????
(was it in Park position maybe?)
What are you calling "ignition switch" - Key-Switch or Kill/Run switch? Latter does not matter if key was really 'Off'

So your battery was drained ......

called dealer--said it was ok to charge til I replaced fuse. hooked up my slow charger and got a trouble light. took battery to autozone--said it was fully charged and not bad.

I think Autozone talking rubbish - sounds like battery severely discharged, possibly irrecoverable at this point.

Get a new battery[/QUOTE]
kill/run button was on and I thought the key switch was in the off position--may not have been all the way...would a toasted battery be the most likely reason for a trouble light on the charger???hopefully a new battery is all it needs..sorry I'm not good with the technical terms--just know how to ride it--not always a good thing....thanks again for the info...don

... kill/run button was on and I thought the key switch was in the off position--may not have been all the way...would a toasted battery be the most likely reason for a trouble light on the charger???.
The key must have been on - does not matter if Kill in Kill or Run at that point;
If Key is off, then does not matter what position Kill/Run is in - there is no current drain either way, needs key on

Yes, trouble light on charger is because the battery was below the threshold of its ability to recover it.

If your battery is a year old, you should have some warranty on it - you don't necessarily have to disclose any background - it's just 'bad' ;) :D

Yes, definitely recheck the battery. I had one before which showed good voltage yet it had failed. Hope you get your issue sorted soon without much of an drama.

Back