Help Me Understand Fork Bushings

ThisGuy

Standard Boor
Ride
2005 Rocket III
I'm trying to understand all I can about the anatomy of the forks before I overhaul them. I understand that basically no one touches the bushings. Nonetheless, I'm learning a lot about forks from dirt riders, since they're seriously into this stuff, and they have a lot to say about bushings. Maybe they'll be in perfectly fine shape and I can ignore them. However, my service manual does say "Inspect all bushes and seals for damage. Renew any damaged items if necessary." I'm going through the trouble of bringing my forks back to pristine condition—even better than new with a spring and oil upgrade—so I don't want to cut any corners.

For a little forum history, @CanberraR3 started basically the only post in existence about this: Fork Bushes

Also, I'll be repeating a couple pictures from another post on Fork Seals. Thanks to @Paul Bryant for posting those.

Finally to round out the intro, I'm curious about this SKF Complete Fork Seal & Bushing Kit. Is this legit? Their fitment guide says it should all fit my 2005 Rocket.

So, given all that setup, here's my question. That kit indicates there are two bushings per fork. All forks that I have found anywhere in articles or videos while researching this have two bushings. Something has to support the sliding Inner Tube at both the bottom of the Outer Tube and at the top of the Inner Tube. Something keeps it aligned. However, the service manual only shows a bushing at the end of the Outer Tube. And the expected 2nd bushing cannot be seen in any R3 fork photos I have come across.

In the following picture, you can clearly see the copper colored edge of the first bushing at the bottom of the Outer Tube.

However, based on everything I've seen so far, I should see the other bushing fixed at the end of the Inner Tube, just above the colon and the number 5 in the date code below:

What's going on here? When everything is assembled, what supports the end of the Inner Tube sliding through the Outer Tube? Is there a 2nd bushing? Is the SKF kit bogus?

No takers? I'll bump it once more tomorrow then if not, will update in the future once I tear down the forks and figure it out.

I will update it. Didn't forget. Haven't done the work yet. While I'm saving for tools and parts I research and ask questions like this. I don't have the piles of cash to burn on demand that I used to.

The forks haven't been leaking any more and are riding fine for now. And unfortunately I have a few more pressing tasks/expenses like new tires, a lift, and a serious low idle problem to fix (tablet, TuneECU, etc…)

So, it'll be a little while.

Back