Helmet... Resonating?

BuffaloR3

.060 Over
I've never experienced this or even heard of this but I have an interesting problem with my R3. I'm riding a standard with Jardine's, not obnoxiously loud, my old Kawi was way louder than this and I didn't have a problem, but the sound inside my full helmet seems to resonate and is uncomfortably loud. When I get back from a ride it feels like I stood too close to the speakers at a rock concert, ears are ringing, sound from tv or talking is muffled, it takes until the next morning for it to clear up. I don't find the bike loud with a half helmet and don't experience any of these problems with the brain bucket, just my space helmet.

strange...

The R3 motor puts out a very low, throaty note and I don't think it matters which exhaust setup you run. The Jardines are, by far, the gnarliest that I've heard on this bike. I am running Mad Dogs, which are not nearly as aggressive as your Jardines, however with one of my two helmets (a Joe Rocket carbon Transtone) I get the same, mind-numbing resonance from a low frequency harmonic that is captured and, seemingly, amplified inside that helmet. It is beyond annoying... it could actually drive you mad or, at the least, give you one hell of a headache after prolonged exposure.

I have found that the different padding inside my two helmets makes a difference. My other lid is an Arai Vector, which does not cause the offending harmonic. If you can change the cheekpads or other padding in your lid, give that a try. If not, you'll either have to wear earplugs (as I now do with either helmet) or find a different helmet.;)

may I suggest earplugs! as a solution..

I run jardines as well ,and I wear a jet helmet , the sound is just nice as we know

buffalo how are you coming along with the new tunes for tuneECU?

Agree with Duke.

If you don't wear earplugs you will reach a point where the ringing in your ears will help drown out the roar from the exhaust. I wish I didn't know this for a fact, but 40 years ago nobody knew any better.

Yea, cheap ear plugs work well for me too. I've only got the TOR's but I stuff the plugs in whether I'm wearing a helmet or not .... they let me hear important sounds while riding and keep the wind from whistling through the holes in my head. :p
I don't have that "muffled" hearing for awhile when I get off the bike and take them out like when I forget to bring them.

Some helmets do "sound" different when used in different seating positions, or on different bikes. I generally try to buy helmets that support replaceable liners/pads, but agree that wearing earplugs is the solution.

I wear inexpensive foam plugs for track racing (defenders), but try several types and see what you like. Avoid plugs designed for non-motorcycle purposes (workplaces, firearms, & etc).

Ironically, earplugs are difficult to find where I live - most riders don't even wear helmets.

Actually if the noise from that exhaust convinces you to wear ear plugs that's a good thing. Reality is the wind noise that seems so innocuous is what does the real damage.

Lifted from a website on tinnitus:

Researchers have agreed that among the inherited consequences of wind noise include irreversible hearing loss, as well as damage to the auditory canals and nerves of the inner ear, especially when a motorcycle driver fails to wear adequate protective head gear.

Custom fit ear plugs are the best option. They are pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Actually if the noise from that exhaust convinces you to wear ear plugs that's a good thing. Reality is the wind noise that seems so innocuous is what does the real damage.

And here I thought I was just keeping the hampster on the wheel up there from catching cold. :rolleyes:

Back