Maelstrom

Supercharged
Ride
2007 Rocket III Classic Tourer
Helmets finished!

I had these two old hand-me-down helmets that were still in good working condition, but kind of scratched and nicked up a little. I decided to try to paint them to match my Rocket...

I stripped them down, masked them and sanded them...

Then I hit them with automotive primer, then light sanding...repeated that several times

I used Rustoleum Cobalt Metallic spray for the base...

After several coats and light sanding, I masked off the striped area and used Rustoleum Eggshell White.

Again, that was sanded lightly and hit with a few more coats.

The lines weren't perfect, but that's OK, now it was time for pinstriping. I used Prostripe Bright Gold Metallic tape.

Once all the pinstriping was in place, I put on several coats of clearcoat. My wife's helmet is now finished, but I have to rework mine in a few areas. The colors are not a perfect match for my Rocket, but they are darn close.

Damm sight easier if you just bought yourself a black Rocket like the rest of us ...black helmets are a dime a dozen !!.. only joking , lids look great mate. I envy your patience with painting .. I am just too impatient and want it on in one coat :D

lol, i was reading the post thinking exactly this as a post.....:D....glad your the smartarse and i can be the nice bloke and say

great job on the helmet! :)

Supposedly, any kind of paint deteriorates helmets. These helmets are well over 5 years old anyways, which by industry standards means they could spontaneously combust at any moment. I realise this is not a recommended practice to customize helmets (much less with spraypaints), these helmets will likely not be worn much. One is my wife's (who does not ride with me often) and the other is my third helmet and would only be worn every once in a while and only in certain weather/driving conditions. Only the primer was automotive grade, the rest was spray paint. This was just a project for fun, I did some research beforehand and found one example where a guy not only spraypainted his helmet, but his bike as well! Check out the link below..

I spray painted my bike. : motorcycles

great job MAELSTROM
but better yet how did you manage to post full size pictures between typing !!

I painted the gas tank on my old T160 Triumph 32 years ago with black spray can lacquer. I then hand rubbed it, then had a friend polish it with a buffer. Looked like black chrome. My brother still has the bike and the tank still looks good.

I know a guy that painted his hotrod with a roller and brushes using orange Rustoleum. He then buffed it out and you couldn't tell it wasn't automotive paint until you were about 2' away...even then you had to look really close

Was a lot easier painting helmets matt black in the days when you couldn't buy black helmets. Just buy a can of matt black and spray it no masking or sanding just painting.Thats my kind of paint prep.

Was a lot easier painting helmets matt black in the days when you couldn't buy black helmets. Just buy a can of matt black and spray it no masking or sanding just painting.Thats my kind of paint prep.

I can remember when black helmets were illegal in Queensland .. nowhere else in the country as far as I know .. just think old Jo-Bjelke hated us bikies :D making the place look scruffy.

Back