jmhai

Standard Bore
Hello from NC mountains... I am looking at several used Rockets and just trying to get an idea what to look for... Or just what to stay away from... :)

Be leery of the red and white classic model, their much faster than the other colors:)Welcome to the site and happy shopping.

Absolutely! Cardinal Red and Phantom (Heretic) Black is too fast for a V-twin rider.
Any buy with a darkside, on it, will have been ridden right, and possibly put away wet a few times.

Hello from NC mountains... I am looking at several used Rockets and just trying to get an idea what to look for... Or just what to stay away from... :)

Welcome to the site. The newer the model the better. Ask if it has had the upgrade kit done or if it shifts in and out of 2nd gear fine.

What model Rocket are you looking at getting? Mainly, however, I'd check to see if any of the following *potential* issues have ever been addressed/checked/fixed/replaced etc... Keep in mind these are all just general things I've either experienced myself or read about in here.

Issues I had with my 08 Rocket III Touring:

Head gasket - Replaced at around 3500 miles
Tires (R3T) - Bridgestones were recalled/replaced at around 5500 miles
Clutch lifter shaft - Replaced at 5600 miles
Gear Position Sensor (GPS) - Replaced under S/B at 5600 miles

Issues I've read about in here that others have had:

- "Paint can rattle"
- TPS
- Idle problems

Wayon you should change your handle to "Wayon with the fastest Rocket in Invercargill or something like that, watch out for the bloody penguins.:D

Hi Scot , the penguins have found key to the Rocket ??? check out my new avatar :eek: :D

Attachments

• penguin-rocket-790308 (1).jpg
    penguin-rocket-790308 (1).jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Welcome to the site first, we try and try to get under each others skin but to no avail. A quick ride on a rocket solves those issues pretty quickly. The Scot is fun to rile as his head doesn't reach as high to the stars as most if you get my drift... Ok lets get to the issues at hand. I have had the shifter linkage get loose on both rockets. My 2nd 06' had the upgrade kit put in. The very early 04's developed rear end issues but Triumph fixed that as they do most every major issue, in or out of warranty as long as the bike has had regular maintenance. Ride hard, put up wet, repeat.:D

Back