graverobber6

Standard Bore
Hello, thought I would take a moment to introduce myself to the board. I'm a Captain with 21 years of service in the Army. Just picked up a 2008 RIII Touring prior to my move to Spokane, WA in June. Thought I would take advantage of the area to get some long distance rides in this area. The landscape has not failed to disappoint. Since we are near the Idaho border, we have been hitting up the N ID area. Only 76 miles to hit big sky country in Montana. Wonderful riding country, glad I transitioned from a Speed Triple to the RIIIT. Arthritis has set in both my knees and when I got back from Iraq last year I found that I could no longer bear to crouch and ride the S3. Needless to say my wife is in love with the luxurious ride and ample comfort of the RIIIT compared to the Speed Triple. RIIIT is my 4th Hinckley. I have 3 Meriden bikes in the stable as well as a 65 BSA rigid that is a basket case.

I am considering exhaust mods to get a little more oomph out of the motor. I've read some preliminary posts on this board. My main question would be is the D&D system ridiculously loud? I don't have any desire to break noise ordinances and draw the attention of flashing lights. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Once the shoulder heals, I am going to embark on a restoration of a 1970 TR25W. I snagged the bike from the original owner, still in running condition. Has the 1976 Iowa plate on it from when it was last licensed. Complete bike, missing nothing but passenger footpegs. Worst thing about it, was painted mustard yellow in the early 70s to make it look more like a "dirt bike".

Fun times!

first things first, graverobber6. welcome to the site from NJ!

There are plenty of folks who will come along shortly with the answer you seek. The Jardines seem to be the most jarring of the aftermarket cannons. they will set off car alarms and transmit a brain-melting harmonic to the inside of your helmet My 2 cents is that the D& Ds are about on par with the TORs soundwise, but they provide a good bit more in the way of added oomph than Triumph's own upgrade. Ear protection is highly recommended no matter what the upgrade ultimately is.

You'll probably want to do the cat delete in addition to swapping out the pipes. Removing the secondary TPS or installing a GIPro are simple one or the other procedures for further scaring the crap out of yourself. Adding triple K&Ns under the bearclaw is also a common, easy and relatively inexpensive way to add some snap to the crackle and pop. Hehe

Beware! You may drop into an upgrading wormhole once you start.:D

Meanwhile, light 'er up and do enjoy the ride!

Welcome to the site from Kennewick

I ride up into your neck of the woods quite a bit. Riding around Lake CdA is beautiful, and I require myself to stop at Cabella's whenever I'm in or through the Spokane/CdA area.

I am over on the coastal side of our beautiful state..I have an 08 R3T and have added the Tors,KnN air filter and the GiproAtre..plenty of deep throaty sound for me(yes,I use ear plugs),not positive that the KnN helps a lot but it definetly looks like it breathes better,and the GiproAtre????Definetly the best bang for the buck and woke up the motor.Not wishing to get in a debate..last years ride to Seaside,Oregon I averaged 38.6 mpg without the Gipro..this year 40.3 with the Gipro.I attribute the increase to my ability to increase speed without fully opening the throttle..more of a roll-on technique.Good luck with the mods..whatever you choose doing..Mine set me back about $800 and would make same changes if I had another Rocket!!

I had the D&Ds prior to installing the Jardines. The D&Ds are very mellow sounding and shouldn't offend anyone's sensibilities. The Jardines on the other hand are quite a bit louder. Not Harley straight pipe loud, but noticeably louder than the D&Ds.

The cats are in the mufflers on the R3T so no matter which system you choose, you will be removing the cats. The D&Ds like the TORS will require a Triumph tune to avoid running too lean. The Jardines will require a Tuneboy or TuneECU tune as they flow considerably better than the other two.

Welcome to the site and thanks for your service. I had the pleasure of riding in Montana for the first time in June and it truly is 'Big Sky" country. Hope to get up there again sometime. Enjoy that Rocket.

Back