Hello from Florida

KalSaint

.020 Over
Ride
2011 Rocket III Roadster
Hello everyone!

My name is Keith and while I'm not currently a Rocket 3 owner, I hope to be one in the near future. Since I have a few questions about a bike I'm interested in, I'd thought I would come to the experts.

I currently have my eye on a 2011 R3 Roadster with, get this, 1,091 miles.

I've texted with the seller a bit, and it turns out that this bike has been sitting in storage for the past 5 years. He said that it's oil and battery were recently changed, and that he has ridden it a couple of times in the past two weeks. He says it is mechanically sound, but then, who wouldn't when trying to sell their bike?

My question is what should I look for when I drive the 2.5 hours to go see it? I would expect maybe some dry rot on the tires and to see if the same thing happened to any visible seals and gaskets, but I am not sure if there's anything else specific to check for.

Thank you for your time,
Keith

Welcome.

How much is he asking? Are there any modifications? Any OEM or aftermarket accessories?

My 2015 had an oil leak in the valve cover gasket at the right front but it didn't start until 10K miles. Not sure if the earlier Roadsters had the same gaskets. Not a huge deal to fix but worth looking for...

Last edited:
Hello Keith and welcome from Virginia. You are already aware those tires need to be replaced; one reason you mention already is they are too old to be safe. The other reason is they are most likely the OEM tires, and do not have a very long life.

Other than that, make sure that the fueling is actually good as it sat for a long time with probably ethanol in it is that is always bad on the fuel system.

Welcome.

How much is he asking? Are there any modifications? Any OEM or aftermarket accessories?

My 2015 had an oil leak in the valve cover gasket at the right front but it didn't start until 10K miles. Not sure if the earlier Roadsters had the same gaskets. Not a huge deal to fix but worth looking for...

Thank you for the heads up. It is bone stock and he is asking $6500

I'd say the price isn't too far off, but a bit on the high side, asking price usually is. The Scotsman may have rubbed through the paint in spots cleaning it, but no one takes better care of their machines than he does.

I'm all about having multiple options when it comes to buying a bike. $6500 is the most I can afford right now and this is one of the few R3s in my area in my price range. Especially since I don't have to worry about dealer fees and what not.

Back