Hello All..... Handling Help Please...

Stunty69

Standard Bore
Ride
Rocket 3
Hi everyone... just had my 2014 R3 delivered and took it out on Sunday for a quick blast.... now heres the thing... never owned a 'cruiser' style before... sports bikes and adveture bikes that handled like a sports bike... so good peg/ knee scratching.... Steering on this is slow, but right turns are so hard, have to reallt 'turn in' in the bars... whats peoples experience, or are the tryes wrong, or another common issue thats barring me from smiling like a twit . . . .

Welcome to the forum from sunny and humid North Texas. What iteration are you riding, Roadster or Tourer? It would be easier to diagnose with more information, like is it running a car tire on the back. Given sufficient data I believe we can sort it out.

The large rear tire on the Roadster will cause a need for more steering input and this is a big top heavy beast. It will never handle like a sportbike. I'm not sure why your right handed turning is so different from the left. I do know suspension upgrades and and a different front tire improved my 14R.

WELCOME! to our R3 Family from Miami, FL... I have a '14 R3T (Touring) and I don't notice an issue...but I could be use to it having had her since new. With the OEM Metzler tires I had to work harder on turns but when I went to Avon Cobra's she felt rather nimble for her stature. Any photos yo can share?? ENJOY that new Perma-Grin :thumbsup: :cool:
-MIG

Welcome to the forum from sunny and humid North Texas. What iteration are you riding, Roadster or Tourer? It would be easier to diagnose with more information, like is it running a car tire on the back. Given sufficient data I believe we can sort it out.
Thanks...... Its a tourer... running 'standard' Metzlers front n rear 150/80 R 17 on front, 240/50 R 16 on rear... pics show as far as I can tell, no squaring etc....

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 32
Thanks...... Its a tourer... running 'standard' Metzlers front n rear 150/80 R 17 on front, 240/50 R 16 on rear... pics show as far as I can tell, no squaring etc....
I'm going to assume those are not the original tires and the former owner just kept the same brand? If not, you definitely need to change tires. If they are relativey fresh, I'd just roll with it and try either Avon's (my choice) or Bridgestone's (others prefer) when these wear out. As for a harder right turn, especially with a heavy bike, most right turns have a sharper turn radius and do tend to require more effort; especially at lower speeds. Since you drive on the opposite side of the road as I, you'll have to figure out if that fits you as well. Bottom line, as long as you feel safe (take it easy as she's a powerful sometimes unforgiving beast)... like any new bike, I'd adapt my riding to the new feel.

Here's my girl, Fiona...

-MIG

Attachments

• DSC_0932.JPG-F.jpg
    DSC_0932.JPG-F.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0942.JPG-F.jpg
    DSC_0942.JPG-F.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 13
If memory serves the "touring" ran a 180 spec rear. If yours is a 14 it should be the Roadster version. Roadster is foot pegs not footboards. Your exhaust leads me to believe you have the Roadster. When you say 'hard to turn right' you mean the counter steer is difficult, i.e. requires a lot of force on the handlebar? It should require no more force to turn right as it does left if the headstock and wheel bearings are up to snuff. Find an open parking lot and do a series of left and right turns at various speeds. How does the bike 'turn-in' respond at slower speeds vice higher. If the tires are good (including air pressure), then something other than tires is likely the problem (something simple like a cable incorrectly routed around the headstock can cause an issue). Post up your results.

If memory serves the "touring" ran a 180 spec rear. If yours is a 14 it should be the Roadster version. Roadster is foot pegs not footboards. Your exhaust leads me to believe you have the Roadster. When you say 'hard to turn right' you mean the counter steer is difficult, i.e. requires a lot of force on the handlebar? It should require no more force to turn right as it does left if the headstock and wheel bearings are up to snuff. Find an open parking lot and do a series of left and right turns at various speeds. How does the bike 'turn-in' respond at slower speeds vice higher. If the tires are good (including air pressure), then something other than tires is likely the problem (something simple like a cable incorrectly routed around the headstock can cause an issue). Post up your results.
Good Points. I took a closer look at the last photo and there are leather saddle bags with a different support. The touring had Panniers (see my photos). That said, my above comments still hold but concur and look forward to the parking lot test feedback. Speaking for myself, learning is always occurring... :thumbsup::cool:
-MIG

Back