Heat tape for headers

ghost

.020 Over
Ride
2008 rocket 3 classic
I was having the heat issue riding in Az. I have decided to try wrapping the headers with heat tape. This is the first time I have done this. Do you have any recommendations as to what kind to buy?

Thanks

I used HD Screaming Eagle wrap. Not sure how thick you'll be able to apply it and still get the heat-shields back on though. Needs a couple of wraps to do the trick. I've only used it on custom headers and didn't have to worry about re-fitting heat-shields. You are wearing good high leather boots I assume.

I think I would look at spacing the heat shields out a bit more after wrapping them. It might help dissipate heat if air circulates between the wrap and the shields.

I use the wrap I buy at AutoZone or O'Riley's , it comes in 2 different widths and I usually use the wider width. I do not use their metal zip ties but safety wire as I always have that laying around from the race bikes. I start my wrap up at the exhaust port end and wrap down to the collector using about a 1/4 inch overlap. The other thing I do is to soak the wrap in water first , it seems to me that I can get a tighter wrap that way.

Back